Author Topic: Germanic boar gun  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Germanic boar gun
« on: January 10, 2022, 09:05:22 PM »
I made this several years ago.  42 inch 16 bore  by Colerain.  Good Iowa walnut. Looks like a l&r lock. 14 5/8 pull.

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Germanic boar gun
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 10:30:52 PM »
Well, it's not boring!  ;D A running pig engraved on the butt or side plate would have been OK though. 16 bore is a good Boar bore.

Offline Metequa

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 05:10:10 PM »
I like it, a lot!  Nice stick of wood too, looks to be plenty strong. 

Offline Longknife

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 05:16:32 PM »
I really like that one, well I like all the guns you make!! Is it oct/round, is it rifled? I don't see a rear sight....ED
Ed Hamberg

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 06:42:05 PM »
I really like that one, well I like all the guns you make!! Is it oct/round, is it rifled? I don't see a rear sight....ED
Its oct/rnd smooth bore. It has an interesting story that goes with it. I bought this Colerain barrel and it's stamped "20". I built the gun and sent it off to the owner. He could not get it to shoot well. He was talking to Rice about his problem and Rice ID'd the barrel as a 16 bore, not a 20  like it's marked. So Rice made another barrel in 20 bore. That "should" drop right in.  ??? I have switched barrels before, it's never been as easy in practice as it has been in theory.
 As an aside, I ordered 2 long swamped .32's from Rice . They were both stamped 40 on the bottom but were actually .32's. I guess you can't trust what you read. :P
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 09:25:47 PM »
Neat gun. My Beck has a 14 1/4" length of pull & it's 3/4" longer than what I like for offhand shooting.
I've just a little fella, though. 6'1" and 230 lbs. taking 34" sleeves.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 09:34:57 PM »
Neat gun. My Beck has a 14 1/4" length of pull & it's 3/4" longer than what I like for offhand shooting.
I've just a little fella, though. 6'1" and 230 lbs. taking 34" sleeves.
I'd never be able to shoot this gun, I really have to reach to find the trigger. Longest pull I ever built had a 17" pull. :o It fit the guy perfectly. I think he was part ape. ;D

Offline Austin

• Austin Paul
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 04:38:44 AM »
Square headed Iowigen?? Fit them perfectly.
Eat Beef

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2022, 05:51:48 PM »
Square headed Iowigen?? Fit them perfectly.
Most of the square heads live up in Minnesota and Wisconsin

Yah you betcha Mr Austin. OOHFDA!

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 07:32:05 PM »
  Mike you must have sent that one to my brother !
Always questioned my Mom on where he got all that orange hair
from...

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 10:59:03 PM »
Very nice gun, Mike!  But at 14-1/2" pull it's definitely a big feller's gun.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 06:11:11 PM »
Mike,
I like this pig gun have you ever considered putting a bayonet on a pig gun? Years ago I almost purchased an original boar rifle at a gun show which was very nice. The rifle was a flint about .60 caliber and had a bayonet lug on it. The original bayonet was missing but the guy selling it had modified a more modern bayonet to fit it. I have never hunted pigs but a friend of mine did a few years ago if I remember correctly it was in Florida. He was hunting with a friend using percussion rifles and shot a boar that turned and charged him. His buddy shot and killed the pig as it turned to charge. On second though maybe I haven't hunted pigs for a good reason!
Rob