Author Topic: William Britton  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
William Britton
« on: January 11, 2022, 12:52:28 AM »
Here is a minty signed Hampshire County percussion rifle made by William Britton.  The lock is signed G. Moyer, there was a Pennsylvania lock maker by named George Moyer.   If is this is one of his locks, probably late in his career.  I read Moyer made flintlock locks. 

« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 11:51:11 PM by Avlrc »

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
Re: William Britton
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 01:45:44 AM »
Very cool lock!
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline homerifle

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 12:22:34 AM »
Mark, that sure is a minty little rifle! I like it a lot.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 12:58:42 AM »
Yeah boy!!! That is one that is certainly worth waiting in the bushes for. Pretty, pretty rifle and we do thank you for bringing it in to be admired.
Dick

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 01:03:24 AM »
Thanks guys.  Yeah the condition is unreal.   I  love the lock.   It came out of a collection from the 50s.   I  have  some letters to the  rifle owner from  some popular  collectors of that time  pertaining  to  this rifle.   One letter from Joe Kindig Jr  dated 1961,  telling the owner to keep the rifle in its original condition and not ruin it  by doing a flintlock conversion.   Of course I am sure that Kindig never received  a good photo that would show him it  never was flintlock.   Kindig told him he should not tinker with a good rifle & to bring it by for him to see if he was ever in his area.   I am sure glad the owner took Kindig's advice.   :)  How many rifles have we seen with such disastrous treament?  A percussion should stay percussion & a poor recoversion on a original  flint is almost as bad.

Offline Buck2

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 11:07:21 PM »
Avlrc,

Nice rifle.

Dick,

You have to get thru the bushes to get to the picnic!

Noel