Author Topic: Builder, Assembler, Stocker or What?  (Read 3376 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Builder, Assembler, Stocker or What?
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2022, 03:46:52 AM »
I consider myself a  hobbyist now.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2022, 08:08:32 AM »
I am still trying to figure out what I am, hopefully time will tell.

I used to contemplate that, are you a builder or an assembler? For me this kind of question stems from not wanting to take any credit from someone else.

Currently I am building from a pre carve kit, and the amount of time it takes, it's a build. When you go over all the steps to bring a rifle to the point of completion, it's much.

I am just fascinated with all the steps it takes, it really builds an appreciation when you see fine work.     
Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2022, 04:06:00 PM »
Hack.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline geb324

• Starting Member
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2022, 06:26:04 PM »
You call a modern Gunsmith a "Gunsmith" and He doesn't make barrels or actions He use parts already manufactured!!

Offline M. E. Pering

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2022, 04:30:48 AM »
I think some people get hung up on titles.  I have forged springs, made flies that have flown, carved stocks from planks, and made locks.  I call myself a dabbler in archaic, obsolete crafts of obscure nature of little interest but to a few.  Some would call me a gunsmith.  Some would call me a hack.  What does it matter, as long as you are happy doing what you do? 

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2022, 05:28:04 AM »
Hi M E Pering,
If someone comes to you asking if you can make them a gun, do you describe yourself as a hack?

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2022, 06:25:18 PM »
I've never cared about titles and semantics.  I figure let your work stand for itself.  If the customer isn't educated and relies on titles to rate your abilities, then they probably aren't the best customers.

Jim

Offline Clint

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2022, 06:38:52 PM »
I have forged iron barrels, forged and filed locks and cut trees for planking stocks. Lots of brass casting too. Call me anything you want, just don't call me late for dinner. CW

Offline DavidC

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2022, 08:29:59 PM »
I'm seeing a lot of fancy ways to say "an alcoholic".

Offline pilot

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2022, 08:36:54 PM »
There's another category that was missed.  Gun Buyer.  That's me.  I don't build, but I sure like to look at all the very nice work you guys do.  Then on occasion, I'll buy one that someone else built.  Or assembled.  Or whatever.   

Offline DavidC

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2022, 09:26:27 PM »
Our forbearers didn't have to make much of this distinction because they didn't have as much in the way ofass manufactured options that differ greatly in quality, if not in function, yet even they had their options in manufacturing of parts ready to use or finish. There are at least 5 makers of rifles from the Pittsburgh area that have guns from around a 15 year period that use an identical cutout of brass for the patchbox with the engraving done by each man. Is that any different than of I order a precut inlay from someone here as opposed to cutting it myself?

I only look at kits or custom as distinct from mass made things like traditions products or cheap stuff like Jukar.

If Mike Brooks got old and stopped making his own barrel tenons and just used precast ones is he less of a rifle maker?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2022, 10:28:50 PM »
Over the course of my 60 some year "career", I found it best to let others give you a title if they chose to do so.  Nowadays, it seems we aren't comfortable unless we have a label for everything.  Used to be, folks died of old age, but now it has to be cancer, liver disease, etc.  We seem to need to have labels for everything.  I'm a gun plumber, or used to be.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline JHeath

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2022, 11:32:43 PM »
It looks to me like many/most people who build/assemble a rifle today do it because they want a rifle. They can't buy a good SMR at Walmart and don't want to pay $4k for an assembled one.

I can buy a new unmentionable at Walmart for less than the parts to build a longrifle. If everybody could buy an Ian Pratt at Walmart for that price I think we'd find that most builders are really just shooters who need a gun.

Offline DavidC

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2022, 11:49:22 PM »
Maybe, for some, it's just an endless trek of building another gun because the last one just wasn't good enough.

Maybe a longer barrel? Powder's too expensive, need a .36! I bought a liter of Jaegermeister at the store and now I need the matching rifle!

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2022, 12:21:03 AM »
  So someone enlighten me. Because back in the day. Some of the gun builders got a barrel and locks from overseas.
England if not other places. Plus they no doubt bartered and traded for what they needed. I doubt very much that any of them.  Made every part they put on a gun..!
Did they care what their title was
Maybe ?  But I bet they were more concerned with their reputation and lively hood.
 But if you need a title to boost your ego. Go for it, but in the long run. It's the quality of your work.  That stands out to your customer.
 I'd rather see the person's product an evaluate it. Without  that person dislocating his shoulder by telling me what a great builder they are !!
 The old saying goes " the proof is in the pudding "
  Oldtravler

Offline M. E. Pering

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2022, 01:39:38 AM »
Hi Smart Dog,

Sure... I tell them I can hack one out for them.  Seems they are never disappointed having such low expectations to start with.  ;)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2022, 02:29:08 AM »
Hi Smart Dog,

Sure... I tell them I can hack one out for them.  Seems they are never disappointed having such low expectations to start with.  ;)

;D  That is a great answer!!!  Thanks.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2022, 02:36:41 AM »
Old @$#% Fiddler-Arrounder,
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.