General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

Screw Tip Horn

(1/2) > >>

Tim Crosby:
 Here is another internal screw tip. It is about 13" around the outside curve. The base is Maple and has a staple in it for the strap. There is a horn band at the base, four wooden pegs hold it and the base to the horn. The collar is antler and is about 5/8", the tip is horn and is about 2 1/2". The threads are 1/2 X 13 and the threaded area is about 1/2". The horn has its natural coloring. The stopper is also Maple.

Tim C.

seesbirds:
Nice work Tim.  I wish I had the chops as a turner you have.  Oh well, perhaps in another lifetime...

Keep up the good work.

Mark Preston

seesbirds:
Tim,

do you have cup chucks of various sized already turned for the bands or do you make a new one for every band?  What are they made out of?  Are you using like a pen mandrel to hold the collar or did you turn it all together and then part it off?

C'mon give up some of your secrets.

Mark

G. Elsenbeck:
Tim, another very nice looking internal screw tip horn.  I like your base plug, similar to one I just did for a project recently.  Which reminds me, nice display with Mary Ellen's bags on the blog.  Also, I do have to make your idea of making a mandrel.  Still making my tips without one, sigh.   So many ideas, not enough time.   
Gary

Tim Crosby:

--- Quote from: seesbirds on October 06, 2009, 02:34:21 AM ---Tim,

do you have cup chucks of various sized already turned for the bands or do you make a new one for every band?  What are they made out of?  Are you using like a pen mandrel to hold the collar or did you turn it all together and then part it off?

C'mon give up some of your secrets.

Mark

--- End quote ---

Mark,
  I made a wooden cone about a foot long to hold and shape bands on. I cut the bands about  1" to start with, boil them, push them down on the cone(actually I use a rubber mallet to help them on) then turn them to shape. If the inside needs dressing up I do that before boiling them. On thicker horn I have turned the outside round on the cone then chucked the band up and turned the inside to fit the right spot on the horn, then back on the cone to finial shape it. The cone gets pretty beat up so it needs to be resurfaced every once in a while or a new one made. I like pine it seems to hold the bands better than a hard wood.
 For this horn the collar is pressed on. I drill a 1/4" hole through the stock, turn it round and to length on a mandrel, chuck it up, enlarge and taper the 1/4" hole  so it fits the preshaped horn. Then it goes on a small cone to have the outside shaped.
 All of this is easier to do than to try and explain. I hope this helps, if not email me and I will see if I can get a better how to together.

Tim C.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version