Author Topic: Wooden powderflasks  (Read 746 times)

Offline Jakob

Wooden powderflasks
« on: January 13, 2022, 12:23:13 AM »
Hi,

I'm a relatively new 'long rifle' shooter having recently acquired a Lymans GPR, but I've been looking at Muzzleloading for a year or so now and already have my mind set on building my own gun over the summer. Currently leaning heavily towards a Jaeger, I guess in part due to my European background, although I now live in Canada.
 Anyways: I like making things and figured I'd make my own powder horn. Then I figured, that if I was going to build a Jaeger rifle, why not look into German style powder horns and these came up:

I was quite taken by the shape and figured that I could make something similar. All my silversmithing tools are in storage and it would take a lot of work/practice to make the fittings, so I ordered some sets from TOW and made a couple of 'prototypes'.

While I actually quite like the current versions, they probably ended up way too modern looking (despite the main powder flask being virtually a direct copy in shape), but as I also intend to use these as my initial woodcarving targets, I think I can 'bring them back'. Some additional brass hardware for mounting straps will also help, but these will work well as bench pieces, I reckon.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Re: Wooden powderflasks
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 01:24:23 AM »
Pictures are not the best of mediums for depth. I'm sure if you were to see the originals in person you would discover that they are probably tapered and quite thin in cross section.
Psalms 144

Offline Jakob

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 04:31:37 AM »
Yeah, liberties were taken. The V&A collection have dimensions on most of theirs:
https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O78654/powder-flask-unknown/
On the other hand, it now functions much better as a bench flask.

Offline Dutch Blacky

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 11:16:10 AM »
These flasks look very nice and well done. :)
I think, that wooden flasks are typical for european countrys until mid of 18th century.
You can also  see good  descriptions  in the book of Marquiset/Yven "POIRES A POUDRE"