Author Topic: Question for the leather workers. NEW INFO  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Mike from OK

Question for the leather workers. NEW INFO
« on: January 14, 2022, 12:42:41 AM »
Edit: Further research has shown this to be fatty bloom or spew. The test was to apply heat with a hair dryer. If it's spew the fat will warm and dissolve back into oil, which it did. So fixing it is the issue now.

I have this issue with my leather projects. At first I figured mold/mildew. But research also says it could be "fatty bloom" or spue/spew... Which is when oils/waxes migrate to the surface and oxidize

There is no musty smell or scent of damp/rot that one would normally associate with mold/mildew. The film feels somewhat, well, filmy or greasy. Makes me think fatty bloom but I don't know for sure.

Any advice on how to get rid of it on existing projects and how to prevent it in future projects?

Picture of what I am dealing with...

Mike
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 01:24:52 AM by Mike from OK »

Offline Frank Barker

Re: Question for the leather workers. NEW INFO
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 02:08:22 AM »
You could probably clean it with saddle soap...

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 04:33:06 AM »
If using waxed/hot stuffed leathers like bridle or harness, you can just buff it with a horsehair brush and polish it off with a cloth.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 06:02:16 AM »
If using waxed/hot stuffed leathers like bridle or harness, you can just buff it with a horsehair brush and polish it off with a cloth.

James is that your professional solution... Or do you employ a spew remover to stop it as well?

All the items with this issue are veg tan. It wipes off easy enough. But it comes back fairly quickly as more oils/fats rise to the surface and oxidize.

I'm assuming everyday use and exposure to warmth and light might help mitigate it. But I might get some funny looks if I go out in public/show up to work wearing my hunting pouch.

Mike

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 07:31:39 AM »
My comments were just concerning the tannery done waxes and stuffing on specific tannages like the bridle and harness. Can I ask the manufacturer and type of vegetable tannage you have?

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 10:34:45 AM »
My comments were just concerning the tannery done waxes and stuffing on specific tannages like the bridle and harness. Can I ask the manufacturer and type of vegetable tannage you have?

You know, now that you ask, I am positive that both of the bags exhibiting this are from the same side of leather... A 3-4 oz side from Tandy that I bought 2 or more years ago.

One bag has a full leather strap from a 5-6 oz shoulder. The smaller bag has a fabric strap I wove myself but the attachment points are from the same shoulder... Neither strap has exhibited this while the body of the bags from the 3-4 oz side do... So perhaps I got a "bad" piece of leather.

And as I think back, when I bought that side of 3-4 oz I noticed the color was different. But being inexperienced (still am for the most part) I didn't think much of it.

Further research has indicated that it isn't a total disaster. A quality spew remover will supposedly correct it and prevent future "blooms" after treatment... But while minimal, it's more cost and effort.

Live and learn I guess.

Mike

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 07:52:36 PM »
I hate to say this, but I do not buy leather from Tandy any more.  I think most of what they carry is from overseas.  I bought two hides I had to discard due to not accepting and holding dye and finish.  Almost like they added silicone to the leather or something.   Just awful.  Buy American.  God Bless,  Marc

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 04:39:27 AM »
There is a product called “Spew Remover”. I used to get it from either Mohawk or Leather Masters.

Check with upholstery shops or the very large furniture retailers that have their own repair shops. We had Art Van here in Mich,(I worked as an in home service tech for 10 years). I’ve been retired for 12 years,so I’m not “in the loop” any longer.
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!