Author Topic: GUSLER SHENANDOAH VALLEY RIFLES  (Read 1279 times)

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
GUSLER SHENANDOAH VALLEY RIFLES
« on: February 02, 2022, 03:03:13 AM »
Found this 1996 paper by Wallace Gusler on the ASAC website. Please keep in mind that the article is 26 years old.

https://americansocietyofarmscollectors.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/1996-B74-Early-Rifles-of-the-Shenandoah-Valley.pdf
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: GUSLER SHENANDOAH VALLEY RIFLES
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 04:03:05 AM »
I've had that one saved for a while now - it's very interesting.

The rifle in photo 5, which he also used in his JHAT article years ago, is one of the most phenomenal kentuckies around.  It's just atrocious that it's unsigned.  I'm not even sure if it's attributed.  That is one fantastic piece of work.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 06:20:24 AM »
I've had that one saved for a while now - it's very interesting.

The rifle in photo 5, which he also used in his JHAT article years ago, is one of the most phenomenal kentuckies around.  It's just atrocious that it's unsigned.  I'm not even sure if it's attributed.  That is one fantastic piece of work.

I think that, in some respects, attributions can be misleading and perhaps deter some researchers from digging deeper into the origin of original arms.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 02:46:26 PM by WESTbury »
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline LynnC

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 09:58:55 AM »
Thanks for posting the link. Great article!
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline vanu

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 04:39:39 AM »
Rifle No.5 (Wilson family rifle) was acquired by the Commonwealth of Virginia a few years ago and is on permanent display at the Yorktown Victory Center in Yorktown, VA.