Author Topic: Drilling Jig?  (Read 3807 times)

Offline Bigmon

Drilling Jig?
« on: January 14, 2022, 08:38:07 PM »
I have never used one of those drilling jigs that I see others using on here.  But I have some work where I have to match existing holes in side plates, etc.  And I think one of those might be very helpfil?  Especially since my eyes are lying to me so often.
I know someone on here makes and sells them.  Can ya give me the contact info?  And might there be a video on here showing it's use?
I can't remember what the tool is actually called?
Thanks

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Drilling Jig?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 10:33:45 PM »
I have one that works well and I THINK I got it from Dave Rase. You could PM him here to find out.

Offline BillF/TRF

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 11:29:39 PM »
The R.E. Davis Company sells a "center to center" drilling fixture for $20.  It is used with a drill press and helps when aligning bolts through gun stocks.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 12:40:17 AM »
Thanks for the help. I already have the type Davis sells.  I am looking for the type that looks like a "C" clamp?  I am curious how they work.
I recall seeing a video somewhere, but do not remember where?  It would almost have had to be on here?
Thanks again, I did send e-mail to David Rase.
Regards

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 12:45:18 AM »
That " C " clamp style is what I have. I found extra long drills at local hardware store.

Offline sdilts

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 03:44:59 AM »
Robert Boggs makes a good one. He's a member here (RobertB)

Offline Penske

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 04:29:09 PM »
Bob Bogs makes some that are great here is his email contact. Robert Boggs <boggsr.knife@gmail.com> He is a member here

Birddog6

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2022, 04:36:39 PM »
This is one I made prob 30 yrs ago.  I made it from a old C clamp my grandpa made.

Dave Rase makes a nice one, if it is still avail.

Offline heinz

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 05:35:19 PM »
Mine from Dave Rase works vert well.  Although the C clamp style has some quirks and there is a learning curve.  At least there was for me.
kind regards, heinz

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2022, 10:46:32 PM »
I think I got mine from the Log Cabin Shop and its ok but I agree with heinz there is a learning curve. If you have the time and inclination you could make one with access to a milling machine. I have the Davis jig too which in hindsight I think I like better. When I first got this C-clamp jig I used it on a rifle to I was building to drill pins for ramrod tubes. I had trouble keeping it in place no matter how tight I made it. When the drill got to the metal of the pipe and I put pressure on the drill slightly to drill through the tab it would move when I broke through. What I ended up doing is spotting the tab taking the pipe out and drilling it outside of the stock. I have done enough of these pin operations I drill them free hand rather than use the jig. I haven't given up on it yet and will try it again on my next rifle
Rob

Offline BarryE

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2022, 10:54:08 PM »
Dave Rase made mine.  The trick, as I see it, is to drill one side to the thimble (or whatever you are pinning) and reverse the jig and drill into the other side, and then through the object tab.  I have used it to drill tang bolts too.  I try to drill, where possible, while the stock is still square.

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2022, 11:11:15 PM »
If you have a drill press you can make one that will be dead on by watching this video.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2022, 11:41:13 PM »
I made one for use in a drill press and it works great.  If I can make one then anybody can! 😀  I'll try to get a picture up. 
Mike Lee

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2022, 12:05:27 AM »

Here it is mounted on the drill press. This was made in about an hour or less. It's self explanatory in the picture. The bolt has the head cut off and was brought to a point by spinning against a grinder with an electric hand drill. The retainer bolt that has the wing nut on it has a carriage bolt head on the underside.

I know you prefer the C clamp type and so did i but went this way for simplicity sake and also because I read of people dealing with the "learning curve" described above.

Mike Lee

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2022, 02:38:56 AM »
Robert Boggs makes them. I purchased one and it is great. Robert is a member of this forum.

Birddog6

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2022, 04:34:54 AM »
 I made this from a big bolt. It’s dead on every time. Use it for Tang to Triggerplate hole &
Also lockplate to sideplate holes.

image uploader

Offline Not English

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2022, 07:09:27 AM »
I use something very similar to D. Keith's setup. The only difference is that mine is attached to a plate that I clamp to the drill pess plate, but the process is the same. It's foolproof and avoids any clamps or aything else to get in the way. I think I first ran across it in an early edition of Recreating  The American Longrifle.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2022, 07:23:54 AM »
Just be sure to adjust the stop so you don’t hit the point. Also, doesn’t hurt to have a adjustable stand to rest the other end of the gun on.

Offline Hatchet-Jack

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2022, 07:18:59 PM »
Just be sure to adjust the stop so you don’t hit the point. Also, doesn’t hurt to have a adjustable stand to rest the other end of the gun on.
I made my adjustable stand out of an old Microphone Stand from my band days. It works great!

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2022, 08:02:35 PM »
My setup looks the same as a lot of people's and I've used it for several years. My only caveat is I typically drill a smaller pilot hole first and then go back and drill slow and easy pulling the chips out often. I found out the hard way you can still get a drill bit to wander even with a jig so don't push them too hard.

Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2022, 08:37:31 PM »
In a pinch, quick and dirty works just fine too.

Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2022, 01:37:44 AM »
Dumb question I guess, when using these jigs do you stop drilling just short of the baseplate pin? I’m thinking you’d just finish the last few thousandths by hand?

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2022, 03:59:11 AM »
With the point to point jig on the drill press I usually go halfway then flip it over. I found this jig is pretty much fool proof and I like it better than the "C" clamp jig. Lately I have been free hand drilling and if you are careful its not that hard.
Rob

Offline flehto

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2022, 04:54:06 PM »
I don't use any kind of drill jig.....just layout the location of the pins {3 or 4} w/ a depth mike . start the center punch w/ a sharp awl and then center punch. The bbl/stock ass'y is then clamped  in my  very accurate vise w/ the top bbl flat against the permanent vise jaw. My drill press has a reinforced 3/4" thick sheet of plywood 2-1/2' X5' bolted to the DP table. A parallel  at the muzzle keeps things horizontal. The pin hole {1/16 dia} near the breech is done first and a parallel clamp is used  on both sides of the hole location to clamp the bbl/stock ass'y and the hole is drilled through and a length of music wire is tapped into the hole. This is repeated on all the holes but the ass'y has to be moved end to end for the hole at the muzzle. Drilling {4}bbl lug pin holes takes approx. 15 mins...slightly less for the 3 RR pipe holes.

This is a very accurate and fast way to drill the pin holes for both the bbl lugs and RR pipes. Seeing my  Bucks County LRs have only a 1/16 thick web at the breech, the location of this pin hole  is critical. Shown below is the drill press setup for drilling the 1/16 dia holes. ......Fred

Offline PAFlinter

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2022, 01:52:43 AM »
Fred I think I have that same craftsman drill press.....78 vintage.  Nice set up btw