Author Topic: Drilling Jig?  (Read 3809 times)

Offline flehto

Re: Drilling Jig?
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2022, 03:15:03 AM »
Over the years  this Craftman drill press has done its work w/o any problems or repairs. Don't recall exactly when I bought it, but it seems I had it when I started building in 1974. My only complaint w/ it is that it doesn't have a crank to adjust the table height. The spindle doesn't have any "slop" and the spindle speeds accommodate drills up to 5/8 dia ....this size drill has a turned down shank. Also the base is kinda small so I put a couple of big  sand bags on it. The 3/4" thick plywood stays bolted on permanently.....Fred

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2022, 05:38:22 PM »
Fred I think I have that same craftsman drill press.....78 vintage.  Nice set up btw

Me too  :D

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Joey R

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2022, 04:18:29 AM »
Also,me too!
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline PAFlinter

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2022, 04:37:29 AM »
Must have been VERY popular!  I'm gonna try and make a platform like Fred has

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2022, 05:07:37 PM »
I made one out of a bolt. Took about 3 minutes to make a point on the bolt with a bench grinder.

Took the bolt and secured it in my drill press vice.....lined up the bolt point with the drill bit mounted in the press jaws....drilled the hole.

Whole process took maybe ten minutes and cost nothing but a little time and "sacrificed" one bolt. Bolt cost maybe $.033.

Just an FYI

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2022, 07:42:11 PM »
I have two different versions of this type that I made. Also, I made a fence and that works well with barrel and tenon pins, at least for me.
But I have always had problems matching existing holes in side plates with where I want the bolts in the lock plate.  Just thinking I might be able to make the "C" clamp looking type work better for me?
Always experimenting.
Thanks for all the interest.

Offline flehto

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2022, 01:16:24 AM »
I just  spot  the holes of  the lockplate into the wood w/ a size drill, remove the lockplate and drill   through the stock and then clamp the brass sheet {usually 1/8" thick} against the wood and use the  drill shank of the same drill   which  has a center punch ground on and  spot the hole locations. Then a divider scribes the 2 dias  and the rest of the side plate is drawn in starting w/ the sideplate end that centers on the rear of the panel. Then the other end is drawn. No drill jig is used.....Fred
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 01:21:30 AM by flehto »

Online Not English

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2022, 07:52:59 AM »
Fred, if I understand your method, you're making a lot of work out of it. I use the pointed post method. All I do is spot drll the holes laid out on the lockplate  and the sideplate. I then clamp both sideplate and lockplate to the stock. Next, I drill through whatever plate is top most with the opposite  side located on the the post point. After I've done that, I flip the stock over and locate the already drilled hole on top of the post and drill the hole through the previously spot drilled location. It's absolutely foolproof and gives you a direct hole to hole through the stock.

Offline flehto

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2022, 03:44:52 PM »
The reasom I do it  as explained in my post, is that the prick punch marks allow me to use a dividers to scribe the circles around the 2 the holes so the rest of the sideplate outline can be drawn. If I already have a hole, a circle template would have to be used and this would be an "eyeball" location which isn't as accurate. The end result is what matters....irregardless of the method used.

hearts emoticons

« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 03:51:48 PM by flehto »