Author Topic: Tools for scratch carving a horn?  (Read 2575 times)

Offline Dutch Blacky

Tools for scratch carving a horn?
« on: January 15, 2022, 10:48:14 AM »
I just made my first horn.
All the wood carving tools I got in my shop, were not very useful. Best seemed to be a sharp knife with a sharp top. But I am not very glad with it.

What do you use and recommand for scratch  carving a horn?

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Re: Tools for scratch carving a horn?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 03:05:41 AM »
Are you talking about building or decorating a horn?
Psalms 144

Offline Dutch Blacky

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 06:17:04 AM »
My question is about decorating a horn.

In a blog (A Scrimshaw Art Journey: A Lumberjock’s “Short Version” of the Techniques for Decorating a Powder Horn by: Mark A. DeCou) I saw the following list of tools:

Carbide Round Point Machinist Scribe, for deep lines and curves
Exacto Blade with a long sharp point, used for small cutting lines
Sharpee Permanent Ink marker
Artists Permanent Ink Marker
Magnifying Lens Visor
I have also used,India Ink, printer’s ink Sharpened Needle
Variety of Dental Picks 
0000# Steel Wool

Online Frozen Run

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 07:04:10 AM »
Most of it is drawing out your design on the horn with a pencil, you will need some good books to study originals, one of my favorites is Dresslar's The Engraved Powder Horn. Then you cut in your lines over your drawing. You could use various xacto knives or a scribe. This guy makes really nice scribes:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/scrimshawtoolman

Some people will engrave the pattern on but that is a good bit more of a complicated process, also many originals were just cut in with a pocket knife so you could try that as well.

Then you will need to darken in your lines. You could use pencil lead, or an ultra fine tip sharpie, or use a toothpick to apply india ink. Just dip the toothpick a little into your jar and wipe the excess off on the rim.

The 0000 steel wool is used to buff the color off the high spots. The high spots can also be cleaned off with alcohol prep pads.

You could then finish it with johnson's paste wax or renaissance wax if you wanted to.

An optivisor is a generally useful tool. 

I would also recommend you check out Mark Elliot's excellent explanation for polychrome horns here:

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=69291.0

Offline Dutch Blacky

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 08:54:38 AM »
Thank you very much.

I will try it.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 08:04:08 PM »
I made a scribe out of piano wire that I crammed into a slim piece of dowel rod and then stoned the working end to a triangular point. Worked just fine for the crude nature I wanted.
Psalms 144

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 11:27:16 PM »
 Not exactly an answer to your question but this may help the process. I cleaned it up but thanks to "PhotoBuck" some Pic are missing.

Tim

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=6915.msg65158#msg65158

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 12:32:46 AM »
These are what I use to engrave horns.   I have a homemade scribe with a tip made of music wire and an exacto knife with a #12 blade.   I need the extra large handle on the scribe with the very short tip because I lost some fine motor control in my hands with an illness many years ago that damaged my spinal cord.  So what  tools work for me may not work for someone else. The pin vise with a 1/16" drill bit is for making dots.  I have gotten so I prefer to use the scribe most of the time. The pencil is used to draw on the designs.  I use the brush and black drawing ink to fill in the lines.     I wipe off the excess ink with alcohol.   The horn needs to be scraped as smooth as you can get it first and the rubbed down with a light gray ScotchBrite pad.   I will sometimes go over the engraving with the ScotchBrite pad to know off some of the burrs.   

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 12:33:55 AM »
I'm feeling somewhat inspired to try my hand at ruining one of my horns... Believe I'll start out with my cheapo flat horn and a simple design.

Mike

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 03:58:37 AM »
This is a scrimshaw tutorial.  https://www.deviantart.com/inupiaqscrybe/art/Scrimshaw-Tutorial-106531424
When the site comes up, click on the skinny picture twice and it will enlarge. 

Offline Dutch Blacky

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 05:23:24 AM »
Whow
Thanks again for this lot of informations.

Scrimshaw decoration of a horn is a lot more than making some more ore less raw scratches and lettering.

I was thinking of a hillbilly or a frontiersman sitting at the fire and bored. In my imagination  he is doing some decorative carving with his pocket knife.   ::)
Maybe this might have been the beginning of the scrimshaw decoration of powder horns. Just to individualize someones own horn.
But this work is a lot more.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2022, 07:07:36 AM »
This is from an old post of mine 10 years ago now.......

I think you will find, if you try cutting with different tools, that many things will work for you.  Here is an assortment of tools I use for scrimshaw work on horn, bone, and ivory.  For many years, I did most of the work with a very large sail maker's needle (second from the right) stoned to very sharp triangular tip (it cuts easily in any direction.)  The other tools are used to make bolder or finer lines.  Conventional gravers, scribes, and surgical scalpels are all very useful, although some work better in horn than in whale or elephant ivory.  Try anything like these that is sharp.  You may find one thing that works better for you than another.  However, the 4th tool from the right is an aluminum handle with a collet arrangement at the tip to hold 3/32 " diameter dental burs.  It is easy to use and easy to replace the scribe end with various tools ....and can be had from jewelry supply houses.

Cutting done with a graver and scalpel on horn:

Cutting done with sail maker's needle on whale ivory:

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 10:21:55 PM »
I bought a few of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/234377008903?hash=item3691f55707:g:S5kAAOSwMShh4Xuq 

Then I made wood handles and epoxied the above pin chucks into them.  I found HSS and Carbide rods, in small diameters at one of my local industrial supply houses.  Sharpening them like gravers for engraving. 

I also made wood handles for the Xacto knives.  Make sure you put a flat side on the wood handles, The flat keeps them from rolling off the table and stabbing you in the foot. 

Get some real fine diamond stropping paste to keep the points extra sharp.   

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 10:23:27 AM »
Might be useful?

Tim A.
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 07:46:56 PM »
Mr. Crisalli knows his way around engraving a horn!   :-)  Also adding elaborate and decorative metal work. 

Offline Dutch Blacky

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2022, 08:17:25 PM »
Watching this video, it seems to be so easy.  ::)

But my drawing skills  apparently are  not that good   :(
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 10:53:27 PM by Dutch Blacky »

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2022, 05:28:21 AM »
I'm really primitive in my horn etching work, using just a sharpened nail stuck in a dowel. I file the nail tip to get a burr that makes the cuts. Then India ink in a small quill pen to fill the scratches. I usually paste wax over it when I am done.

Online Frozen Run

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2022, 09:52:54 AM »
But my drawing skills  apparently are  not that good 

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2022, 01:09:35 AM »
I use a dowel rod with a sharpened nail or pin.

Cory Joe