Author Topic: Kingsbury Arms Fancy Gentleman’s New England 10 Gauge Fowler…  (Read 2880 times)

Alaskagrizz

This is a long overdue post regarding the absolutely beautiful Gentleman’s Fancy New England Fowler made for me in 2020/ 2021 by respected Boston Gunbuilder Jon Rider of Kingsbury Arms. This wonderful big bore flintlock smoothbore, started out as a NE Fowler kit from Chambers in 10 bore with an awesome piece of high grade curly maple. The 46” Rice octagon to round barrel, was jug choked to full by Jason Schneider prior to leaving his shop. The lock now is an impeccably tuned highly engraved Chambers Roundface Fowler Lock (incredibly fast and very easy on flints) and all furniture is brass. With both Jon and I friends and admirers of David Prices decades of crafting breathtaking heirloom flintlock long guns, I had been salivating for some time over his Fancy American Fowler shown on his website…
https://davidpriceflintlocks.com/project-22-fancy-american-fowler/
So Jon then set out to recreate that piece as close as possible, to build me a bench copy…while using those online photos only. There were some aspects of that kit that simply had to be altered in order to build a fancy Fowler using a Chambers kit. Once he finally received all parts in late May/ early June 2020…Jon started the build with deleting/ replacing the butt ugly hideous serpent sideplate that Mark Silver chose to put on that Chambers kit he designed for Jim. When attempting to build a higher quality gentleman’s gun, there was no way to put enough lipstick (immaculate engraving) on that pig/ snake…that the snake absolutely had to go, even though that slithering sideplate had already been inlet in the pre-carve stock (see attached photo).  So with Jon’s talent, the snake died and became the much more elegant (and very historically correct) sideplate shown here (see photo).  Then as the build progressed, Jon began to recreate David Prices magnificent clamshell around the barrel tang…which is truly stunning. The build progressed with me getting photo updates along the way, with often times daily communication between me as the customer and Jon as the master builder. He kept me very well informed of both progress and questions with his ultimate goal ensuring that I ended up with a mid 18th century recreation of heirloom quality. One undoubtedly destined to become one of my dearly cherished family heirlooms, one sure to be passed down to one of my well deserving grandsons in a legacy that I pray will remain unbroken.
 I have to say that my overall experience with Jon Rider building me this impeccable Fowler…that each and every step from beginning to end, could not have been more perfect. I could not more highly recommend him as a master gun builder, wood carver extraordinaire and highly skilled artisan engraver with a true gift for creating true art in the form of highly embellished 18th century long guns.
 This is a man who, though having extensive experience in very intricate woodworking, actually perfectly recreated Jim Chambers signature early Lancaster found on all his advertisements…being told by some, that he could not possibly do that rifle justice on his “very first build”…
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=38972.0 If you follow that 5 page thread, you’ll see the ultimate compliment paid to Jon by Jim Chambers himself, that he had made his own rendition every bit as stunning!
 So, in conclusion concerning my NE 10 bore Fowler (actually crafted in Boston) built by master gun builder Jon Rider of Kingsbury Arms…both the experience of dealing with such a talented brilliant artisan and a true man among men, I would rate that as a rock solid 12 on a one to ten scale!! Attached are some other photos, both as the project neared completion and then lastly preparing it for shipment to me here in Alaska. I received it right on schedule as previously agreed, just after New Years 2021. I can very proudly say that it shoots every bit as good as it looks, with both .75” round ball and heavy 2+ ounce shot loads held tight even out beyond 50 yards! Yeah, I know…a fowlers not supposed to have a rear sight! That is except mine, and no it’s not a smooth rifle either. I’m able to paste a decent group with 3/4” balls out to 75 yards at the local resident moose population, and still swing evil fast on those high flying sand hill cranes, swans and geese sucking oxygen as they fly over the sovereign airspace above my cabin! Kingsbury Arms Gentleman’s NE Fowler, a grand slam home run out of the ballpark, Jon…Thank You!!!

« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 08:21:49 AM by Alaskagrizz »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Kingsbury Arms Fancy Gentleman’s New England 10 Gauge Fowler…
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 02:12:00 AM »
Somebody has been studying John Schipper's engraving book ;) BTW, I have always thought the serpent on this gun is quite charming.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Alaskagrizz

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 03:21:19 AM »
My dear friend Jon’s work has been acclaimed by several very accomplished gun builders, including David Price, Jim Kibler, Dave Persons and Jim Chambers…among others, to name just a few I’m aware of. His engraving is sought after by numerous others and second to none.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 03:24:22 AM by Alaskagrizz »

Online Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 07:42:26 AM »
It is just inconceivable to me the skill and artistry that some people have! A phenomenal masterpiece.

Offline Big Bubba

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 08:02:18 AM »
Amazing work!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 09:01:17 AM »
Looks pretty nice, for a duck gun. ::)

Just kidding- it's "Special". ;D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 03:13:13 PM »
 I would be happy with that one too. Thanks for the progressive Pix. Well don Jon.

Tim

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 04:40:27 PM »
Very nice! Well done!!! Thanks for sharing. I wish I had just a wee bit of your talent.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2022, 04:50:18 PM »
My dear friend Jon’s work has been acclaimed by several very accomplished gun builders, including David Price, Jim Kibler, Dave Persons and Jim Chambers…among others, to name just a few I’m aware of. His engraving is sought after by numerous others and second to none.
As Gomer Pyle used to say "Well Goooolly".    I had no idea he had risen so far.  BTW, you go to prison in Iowa for shooting sandhill cranes and swans, you better check your local game laws.
 Here's a traditional but imaginative engraving option for "butt ugly hideous serpent sideplate that Mark Silver chose ". ::)

« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 05:44:21 PM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2022, 05:18:27 PM »
Thanks all, that was a fun build for an excellent friend and client. He sent a few videos of shooting it, and that jug choke can hold a nice tight pattern! - Best of luck in hunting season - you will get a few!!!

Alaskagrizz

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2022, 09:04:51 PM »
Many thanks to all those with positive and productive comments regarding what a true artisan Jon Rider is. I’m so happy to see him recognized by his peers for his exceptional God given talents. As for hunting laws here in my home state of Alaska, 32 years making my home here…has made me very intimately familiar with those regarding the harvesting of migratory game birds, with hunting laws of other states simply of no relevance here. Several different species of geese, both Trumpeter and Tundra swans and sandhill cranes are all on the menu…and downright delicious too. Cranes are actually referred to as the  “ribeye of the sky”. Regarding embellishing the snake…still butt ugly, my gun, my choice.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 09:19:00 PM by Alaskagrizz »

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 08:01:11 PM »
I am sure Mr. Rider is an experienced builder.  There are many of our nations' best longrifle builders on this forum, and many stunning works shown, so it is a little hard to gob-smack people here.  I think a few of the comments you received are from the viewpoint of your description sounding slightly like an advertisement for Mr. Rider.   Most folks simply show the guns or accoutrements, and let the pictures speak for themselves.  No disrespect intended here sir.   God Bless,   Marc

Offline Old Time Hunter

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 09:13:48 PM »
Is the piece in the crate "finished" ? The stock looks "dry" as if it was stained and ready for finish?  Most seem to have more shine or gloss for lack of a better term. this looks like it would soak up moisture . Beautiful workmanship! Just wondering if that was the finish?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 01:15:13 AM by Cumberland Hunter »

Offline Old Time Hunter

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 09:15:45 PM »
The piece shown by Mr. Brooks has a much more "weather ready" appearance to me.      James

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 02:49:59 AM »
Is the piece in the crate "finished" ? The stock looks "dry" as if it was stained and ready for finish?  Most seem to have more shine or gloss for lack of a better term. this looks like it would soak up moisture . Beautiful workmanship! Just wondering if that was the finish?

Hi,
You mean you cannot see the shine of the finish in the photo close up of the lock? 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2022, 03:07:44 AM »
The  In_the_box picture looks quite dull - especially the butt - I assume that is what he's looking at, Dave.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Old Time Hunter

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2022, 03:35:11 AM »

Hi,
You mean you cannot see the shine of the finish in the photo close up of the lock? 

dave
No sir , I actually can`t.  Hence my question.      James

Alaskagrizz

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2022, 09:00:50 AM »
Can you see the finish now? There is the exact degree of gloss, that I the customer requested! I got precisely what I asked and paid for…a serious hunting gun, not a shining beacon in the sun. My impeccable stock was sealed by its creator with several coats of Chambers Traditional Oil Stock Finish, only after he achieved my desired coloration. It has also had very judicious amounts of Kiblers Bone Black applied (again per customer request, as I did not at all want a “brand new appearance”). I have likely since oiled it perhaps twice more since it entered my collection, and it’s now been in the woods a time or three. I was also told that when I was happy with the amount of oil (water beads off it like that off a ducks back now), to then use the highest quality carnauba wax I could find. That my fowler was already impervious to anything Alaska and I could ever throw at it, prior to it even being shipped…up for anything from stalking a bedded moose while raining sideways, to spending the day in a jon boat hidden in a slough waiting for the next huge flock of geese to come my way (having since done both). My only concern then is not my stock, but if my cows knee is leaking into that precious prime! Thanks again Jon👍👍

Offline Old Time Hunter

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2022, 06:00:57 PM »
Can you see the finish now? There is the exact degree of gloss, that I the customer requested! I got precisely what I asked and paid for…a serious hunting gun, not a shining beacon in the sun. My impeccable stock was sealed by its creator with several coats of Chambers Traditional Oil Stock Finish, only after he achieved my desired coloration. It has also had very judicious amounts of Kiblers Bone Black applied (again per customer request, as I did not at all want a “brand new appearance”). I have likely since oiled it perhaps twice more since it entered my collection, and it’s now been in the woods a time or three. I was also told that when I was happy with the amount of oil (water beads off it like that off a ducks back now), to then use the highest quality carnauba wax I could find. That my fowler was already impervious to anything Alaska and I could ever throw at it, prior to it even being shipped…up for anything from stalking a bedded moose while raining sideways, to spending the day in a jon boat hidden in a slough waiting for the next huge flock of geese to come my way (having since done both). My only concern then is not my stock, but if my cows knee is leaking into that precious prime! Thanks again Jon👍👍

Thanks for posting the new photo . I can tell that there is more finish than I could initially see . I appreciate this view because it answered one of my "un asked" questions .  I thought from the other photos that the carving around the barrel tang looked like it still needed some "modeling" to get some of the square edges off and add more flow . Very beautiful work!    I`m not sure you would have been allowed to post a "shining beacon in the sun" unless it was a flintlock !     James
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 07:16:51 PM by Cumberland Hunter »

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2022, 02:09:08 AM »
Marcruger,
I am not sure what gob-smack means.  John Rider is a personal  friend of mine.  He is one of the most multi talented  people that I have ever met.  I am proud to call him my friend.  Even with all his talents he is quite humble, willing to help anyone he comes in contact with.  To suggest that Grizze's post was an advertisement was a stretch of the imagination. 

There is an old saying, "The best advertisement  you can get is a satisfied customer."  This customer is obviously a very satisfied customer.

David Price

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2022, 03:47:08 PM »
Hi,
What Dave Price wrote!  Alaskagrizz asked me a few years ago if I would make him a fowler.  I had to turn him down because of my work load but I recommended Jon.  I saw Jon's work and knew he was interested in fowlers and believed he would be a perfect match for Alaskagrizz's project.  I am so pleased to read Alaskagrizz's comments and obvious satisfaction.  They make me smile.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."