Author Topic: Grafs "Classic" black powder?  (Read 3244 times)

Offline Badenpowell

Grafs "Classic" black powder?
« on: February 13, 2022, 04:14:05 PM »
Is this the same stuff they have been selling the past few years, made by Wano? They have it in stock right now.

Offline Kevin

Re: Grafs "Classic" black powder?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 09:28:00 PM »
Per their website: https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/89981

Product Information
We have brought back the Classic Graf & Sons Black Powder!

Manufactured for Graf & Sons by Wano Schwarzpulver GmbH, Imported by Schuetzen Powder LLC.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 07:16:38 PM »
Per their website: https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/89981

Product Information
We have brought back the Classic Graf & Sons Black Powder!

Manufactured for Graf & Sons by Wano Schwarzpulver GmbH, Imported by Schuetzen Powder LLC.
I looked earlier at Graf & Sons and like all the rest,"out of stock" seems to be their mantra also.
My oldest son who is now a retired cop stocked up years ago and the "Out of Stock" is no problem.
Bob Roller

Offline Penske

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 12:54:59 AM »
Just looked and 1F, 2F, and 3F in stock.

Offline Dee

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 01:58:32 PM »
When was "earlier"?  Graf, Powder Valley, and Buffalo Arms restocked last week. If you need powder you need to check all the online vendors frequently.  Schuetzen has been coming in the last few months but it sells out before too long. The Graf house brand isn't such a good deal now...less than a dollar difference than regular Schuetzen.

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 12:36:23 AM »
When was "earlier"?  Graf, Powder Valley, and Buffalo Arms restocked last week. If you need powder you need to check all the online vendors frequently.  Schuetzen has been coming in the last few months but it sells out before too long. The Graf house brand isn't such a good deal now...less than a dollar difference than regular Schuetzen.

When Schuetzen Powder first came into the U.S. it was sold by Graf.  That would be their "original powder".  Then they shifted away from Schutezen and sold GOEX as their house brand.  Now with GOEX out of it for the time being they went back to the Schuetzen Powder.  Which is why they describe it as the original Graf powder.  So until GOEX gets back in business under Estes ownership it appears that they will go back to Schuetzen so that they have something to sell even though supplies at present are rather limited.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2022, 03:48:03 PM »
Let's hope that black rifle powder can be made here in the USA or maybe Canada instead of 5000 miles away.My personal stash is now down to about 12 pounds of a mixed lot.I think we should perhaps focus on LEAD and it is as important as the propellant that pushes it out of the barrel.Percussion caps seem to be another problem in some areas and for BPCR shooters,primers are a problem.I had a few thousand more than I needed and sold them to 2 shops at a fair price.These wee the "Out of Stock"items I was referring to,probably caused by hoarders with a lot of money for hobby activities.Speculators as well are probably in this mix.GMBH is a German business title "Gesellschaft mit beschrankter Haftung...Corporation of limited liablities.
Bob Roller

Offline okawbow

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2022, 08:20:38 PM »
I have a couple old sailboats. One has a 3500# solid chunk of lead in the keel. That would make a few bullets.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline barracudadave67

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2022, 08:41:07 PM »
As far as I know,,,,,,,, all the lead mines in this country, were closed down by the EPA 10-15 yrs ago. I don't know if lead can be imported or not, under the present EPA rules.

The lead in retail circulation at present is all recycled, and wont last forever.  The current national/Government fad about converting cars, and other modes of transpotation to electric power, wont help the prices, or the supply either.

Until or when the government bans/ eliminates black powder sales, and individual posession of it, someone will make it to sell retail. So I buy it while I can.

Dave

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2022, 10:22:39 PM »
As far as I know,,,,,,,, all the lead mines in this country, were closed down by the EPA 10-15 yrs ago. I don't know if lead can be imported or not, under the present EPA rules.

The lead in retail circulation at present is all recycled, and wont last forever.  The current national/Government fad about converting cars, and other modes of transpotation to electric power, wont help the prices, or the supply either.

Until or when the government bans/ eliminates black powder sales, and individual posession of it, someone will make it to sell retail. So I buy it while I can.

Dave

I did some digging.  We have a very big battery plant about 20 miles from here.  The one only two miles from my house shut down a few years ago.  It worked with used batteries recycling the lead.  An air quality nightmare.
In 2017 the U.S. imported 538,000 metric tons of refined, unwrought lead.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2022, 12:16:50 AM »
One of our customers uses hundreds of tons of lead for medium voltage cable sheathing for down hole pumps... It comes from Doe Run (SE MO?) but I'm sure it's all recycled and not mined/smelted.

Mike

Offline pilot

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2022, 01:06:45 AM »
Doe Run Company is still in business and mining lead, along with recycling batteries. 

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2022, 02:40:15 AM »
...restocked last week. If you need powder you need to check all the online vendors frequently...

No need to "check around" if you order from a place that does backorders. This is what I've discovered.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2022, 07:10:50 AM »
Let's hope that black rifle powder can be made here in the USA or maybe Canada instead of 5000 miles away.My personal stash is now down to about 12 pounds of a mixed lot.I think we should perhaps focus on LEAD and it is as important as the propellant that pushes it out of the barrel.Percussion caps seem to be another problem in some areas and for BPCR shooters,primers are a problem.I had a few thousand more than I needed and sold them to 2 shops at a fair price.These wee the "Out of Stock"items I was referring to,probably caused by hoarders with a lot of money for hobby activities.Speculators as well are probably in this mix.GMBH is a German business title "Gesellschaft mit beschrankter Haftung...Corporation of limited liablities.
Bob Roller

Bob,

Early in 2021ercussion caps were nearly impossible to find here in the U.S.  Jim Kirkland, at Schuetzen, made a few calls over to WANO.  The results of that were that Jim Kirkland brought 3 million percussion caps into the U.S. and put them out for sale.  Germany has two main cap makers.  RWS and Dynamit Nobel.  For some reason Europe was not suffering the lack of primer compositions that was seen here in the U.S.  Jim Kirkland is a BP shooter and has been one since around 1993 when we got involved with Elephant from Brazil.  Jim then got into BP cartridge shooting and has been competing in that crowd last I knew.

In all of my years in the BP business I never saw any speculators in the BP business.  That business simply does not function with speculation. With imported powders.  The U.S. contract importer sits down near the beginning of the year with the powder plant producer.  The importer then gives the BP plant management an idea of how much powder they want to import and around what time of the year they will need it. Then then agree on pricing.  It is then a done deal.

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2022, 01:40:15 AM »

Dave
Not true on US produced lead. Red Dog mine in Alaska has been operating since 1989 and produces zinc and lead.
Dennis

Ric Carter

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2022, 08:43:23 PM »
Pretty much every silver and gold mine in the country produces a large amount of lead as a byproduct.

Offline john bohan

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2022, 09:37:40 PM »
I just got 10lbs. from Maine powder house, 2f and 3f.They told me the next shipment into the US will see a large price increase.