Author Topic: Freestanding Gunstocker Bench ideas  (Read 3720 times)

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Freestanding Gunstocker Bench ideas
« on: January 18, 2022, 08:14:49 PM »
I'm reworking my workshop and I think it is time to build a dedicated free standing work station/horse/island whatever you prefer to call it.  This is for the lighter type work, not sawing and shaping a blank.  I have a set up for that.  Sure would be nice to see some pictures of what others have come up with and are using.  I've always preferred to build with the rifle laying across my legs or on a standard bench table top and vise.  Leather pads cut down on the puncher wounds when working in the lap.   ;)

I've searched the archives and there is a tremendous amount there but most of the pictures are missing.  Thanks Photobucket for that. 

Thanks in advance,

Ken 
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Online smylee grouch

Re: Freestanding Gunstocker Bench ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 10:00:09 PM »
Doing much the same. After losing a leg its hard to sit on a stool to work at the vice so I am building a small sturdy table with vice for the inletting jobs. I can sit at the table on a regular chair with my feet under it and the vice at the right height for locks, triggers, side plates etc. Not done with it yet but it works out in my mind and on paper.  ;D

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 11:14:38 PM »
 Ken, If you have the links to the posts with the missing Pix send them to me and I'll see what I can do.

Tim

Offline BDPalmer

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 11:27:11 PM »
These may be some of those missing pictures. I was inspired and saved some to my computer. I hope this works, I haven't posted here before. I just know how helpful these were to me and thought I could return the favor.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 11:54:41 PM »
Thanks BDPalmer.  Nice collection of pictures.  Very helpful.  Tim, I'll wait to see what's posted before asking you to do anything special. 

Also hoping someone is using a stand with the vise mounted more in the middle or with a changeable position.  I keep thinking that might work but have never seen one like that.

Cheers,
Ken

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 12:25:35 AM »
A few years back ALR member BJH sold plans for a free-standing bench.  A picture of it may be in BD's reply above, but I don't know which one.  Maybe BJH will chime in.

Oh, good to "see" you Ken.

Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 12:33:17 AM »
I remember that thread because I looked at it several times.  Went back to check on the plans and now it has pictures!  Tim worked his magic already. 

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=46225.0

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 12:59:48 AM »
 Not me, that's Ron's work. It's nothing special, it is a good subject and it will help anybody searching for plans or Pix if we try and up date the Pix. Not all of them can be fixed but it's worth a try.

Tim   

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 01:09:52 AM »
A few years back ALR member BJH sold plans for a free-standing bench.  A picture of it may be in BD's reply above, but I don't know which one.  Maybe BJH will chime in.

Oh, good to "see" you Ken.

Ron

Second from the top is that design. It's all 2x6's plus a bit of hardwood 2x4 for the clamping section. I have the plans and the lumber to build two of them. Haven't had the opportunity just yet.

Hold to the Wind

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2022, 01:41:15 AM »
I have a fold up 3 legged sawhorse that looks like this one.  https://www.lumberjocks.com/projects/314034

The basic instructions are in the link.  I also made 2 different top/tray that fit in the slot.  One is a 2x10 and has a small vise mounted on it, the other is a tray made with 2x10 with 1x4 side and ends, a heavy tray.   

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 01:52:35 AM »
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Online Ats5331

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2022, 02:12:34 AM »
I built one just out of material around my barn. Took me about an hour and a half..

Offline BJH

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2022, 03:24:40 AM »
Yes the gun stocking horse second from the top is my design. Inspired from Ian Prats design. Mine was to have a bench usable at  period Show And Tells. It has turned out to become my primary bench. I’m betting I’ve got ten years of use out of it with very minor changes. BJH
BJH

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2022, 03:57:15 AM »
BD,
Thanks for posting. The fourth one down is mine.i got the idea from David Rase’s bench and modified it. I wanted one that I could sit at with a good stool and take the pressure off my back. I took another trick from a friend of mine from Canada’s bench with tee tracks installed. With those I can have different vises mounted on platform boards. This gives versatility to the bench and allows it to be used for stock work, metal work, engraving or carving. With 2 x 12 and 2 x 10 construction and assembled with deck screws, Titebond glue, and lag bolts, it is very sturdy and heavy. I will find some more pictures and try to get them posted tomorrow. Thanks David!
elkhorne

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 04:02:56 AM »
Thanks for all the great suggestions and pictures.  Lots to take into consideration.  I really like BJH's design and Elkhorn's T-track system.  That's a pretty cool idea. 

Cheers,
Ken 

Offline acorn20

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2022, 06:07:31 AM »
This post was rather timely in that I was working on my portable gunstocking bench this time last month.  I thought  I'd post a few pictures of the completed project.  I wanted a workbench in the shed I built in 2020 but really didn't want to take up the space along a wall.  A portable workbench is going to fill the bill rather well.  I'd like to thank Paul Bigham who was kind enough to share the dimensions of his portable bench.  I made my bench out of 15 1/2" elm planks.
I modified mine from Paul's by making the bench rest adjustable up and down, profiled the feet, added three 3/4" holes for a dog for flat work and casters that can be employed to move the monster. 

Dan Akers

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2022, 06:08:21 AM »
Very nice, I like it.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2022, 06:35:11 AM »
Nice work and portable.  Thanks for sharing.

Ken

Offline t.caster

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2022, 07:24:57 PM »
I've been using this one since about 1988. I use two smallish Pana-vices which nobody seems to like but me I gather. They have served me well through around 50 builds. I used to have a blueprint for it and sold about 30 prints in the past.

Tom C.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2022, 02:09:33 AM »
This post was rather timely in that I was working on my portable gunstocking bench this time last month.  I thought  I'd post a few pictures of the completed project.  I wanted a workbench in the shed I built in 2020 but really didn't want to take up the space along a wall.  A portable workbench is going to fill the bill rather well.  I'd like to thank Paul Bigham who was kind enough to share the dimensions of his portable bench.  I made my bench out of 15 1/2" elm planks.
I modified mine from Paul's by making the bench rest adjustable up and down, profiled the feet, added three 3/4" holes for a dog for flat work and casters that can be employed to move the monster. 

Neat, that big shelf would be a good place to store your scrap lead and give it some weight. I like your shop if that's it in the back ground.

Tim C.

Offline acorn20

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2022, 04:38:37 AM »
Thanks Tim.  I designed the shed and had it built during the Covid outbreak.  It's my little piece of Williamsburg on Highland Avenue.
I have plenty of lead to use as weight but that bench weighs a ton without it.  I also lagged two, 3x3x1/4" angles from both sides to the top to eliminate wracking.  They also add a little bit of weight.  The casters raise it up 3/4" so that I can move it about in the shed and possible outdoors on nice days.
Dan Akers

Offline Dwshotwell

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2022, 05:28:14 PM »
Thanks Tim.  I designed the shed and had it built during the Covid outbreak.  It's my little piece of Williamsburg on Highland Avenue.
I’d love to see more shots of the shop itself if you don’t mind posting them at some point. I’ll bet I’m not alone. It looks pretty cool.
David Shotwell

Offline Maineshops

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2022, 05:54:59 PM »
This is what I use

I like the swing out drawers and the light where I need it with macular

Offline Percy

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2022, 07:07:11 PM »
All the benches shown look to be well built and I am sure they all work well. But my favorite is the one shown by acorn20 with the modified adjustable bench rest. That adjustable rest is a very nice feature.

Offline Spalding

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2022, 07:17:43 PM »

That’s almost to pretty to use. Well done.

Bob