Author Topic: Black powder sources  (Read 4183 times)

Offline borderdogs

Re: Black powder sources
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2022, 03:13:38 AM »
I got 10lbs of black powder from Maine Powder House yippie! Maybe shoot this weekend!
Rob

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2022, 09:55:34 AM »
Sounds great, there is  a postal match on, ya know.  I've won this 'match' many times. Time for someone new.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2022, 12:57:36 PM »
Daryl,
I will check that out. It's been cold here in NH we have had -15F a couple nights and as I write this its -16.5F. They are predicting 12"+ of snow this Saturday but who knows certainly not the weather reporter. Its colder than last winter but so far less snow.
Rob

Offline rkrcpa

• Starting Member
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2022, 04:58:59 PM »
I just ordered 10lbs of 3f Shuetzen. That should do me for quite some time. Now, if only I had a flintlock......

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2022, 03:06:06 AM »
I just ordered 10lbs of 3f Shuetzen. That should do me for quite some time. Now, if only I had a flintlock......
No flinter?  Are you shooting at all?

It does last longer when you're not shooting, and I'm bad about that. Shooting my mouth off instead of punching holes for comparison.  I'm getting close fellas. Just have to get my boundary fence up and I'll be joining the monthly "postals".  And I'm getting some Schuetzen and Swiss to try against my stash of Goex, plus some new patching and lubes to sort out. I gotta get to shooting, but my fencing ain't done yet-and it's the priority.

No flinter?
Hold to the Wind

Offline Jerry

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2022, 07:12:52 AM »
To compare, what granulation in Swiss would I purchase for 20 ga smoothbore? Is Swiss 2f the same as Goex 2f? Thanks, Jerry

Offline Daryl

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2022, 10:42:00 PM »
Very similar in size, but Swiss develops slightly higher velocities when the actual charges are weighed.  Swiss also seems to have a higher sectional density, meaning that for a given stricken measure (volume), there will be a greater weight of Swiss in that "measure's" volume. Thus, you will get fewer "throws" using that measure per pound of powder.

Thus, if you use an old measure setting, we'll say for the jist of this post, holds 80gr. of 2F GOEX, if you used that measure full of Swiss powder, you would actually be 'throwing' 85 or
more gains of Swiss powder, likely closer to 87gr. or 88gr.
Daryl

Offline drewsbow

• Starting Member
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2022, 11:52:27 PM »
I just got my 2f and 3f swiss from Maine powder house  :D

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2022, 05:32:51 AM »
I have been a Goex guy for nearly 50 years this is the first time I purchase Swiss will be interested to see how it is I have heard a lot of good things about it. Looks like 5lbs to 10lbs is going to be standard for the time being.
Rob
Interesting I quit using Goex as soon as possible. Mad Monk knows why. Not gonna mention it here. Goes back to the mid-1970s.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Daryl

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2022, 04:58:53 AM »
If I had your money, Dan, I'd shoot nothing but Swiss too. ;)
Daryl

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2022, 07:22:35 AM »
I beat my head against the wall for months trying to get my .45 to group. Switched over to Swiss and saw significant improvement immediately.

I don't know if there is a velocity difference between Swiss and Goex or not... I am told Swiss gives more velocity from a like charge... I don't much care. But it certainly seems to give more consistent velocity which translates to better groups.

It worked well enough that I would like to try some Swiss 2f for my smoothbore to see if it helps tighten it up when I do another round of load testing.

When Goex comes back I'll still buy it to keep on hand. But I will always try to keep Swiss on hand as well.

Mike