Author Topic: Black powder sources  (Read 4113 times)

Offline borderdogs

Black powder sources
« on: January 19, 2022, 02:00:32 AM »
hi Guys,
I figured I would let you guys know where I just bought some black powder I bought 8lbs of 3F Swiss and 2lbs of Goex 4F from the Maine Powder House. They seem to have stuff in stock.
Rob

Offline MuskratMike

Re: Black powder sources
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 02:31:36 AM »
Price of each lb. you bought?
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 03:25:51 AM »
I paid $28.25 for Swiss and $21.50 for Goex 4F. More than the last time I bought powder but I am glad I could get it.
Rob

Online martin9

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 03:28:25 AM »
I was on their site a couple days ago and it said the swiss was "available on backorder". I'll check it out. Thanks

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 03:53:43 AM »
Yes, they fill orders as they come in and in order of when they get the order. I put my order in January 3rd some was in stock and some was on back order. They limit the amount in 5lbs and 10lbs orders last time I ordered from them was a few years ago and I ordered 25lbs
Rob

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 03:57:36 AM »
Wow, 4 lbs. of 4f sounds like a lot of prime. The price of each sounds cheaper than I thought it might be from some of the earlier reports.

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 05:09:12 AM »
smylee,
I actually bought 2lbs of 4F 8lbs of 3F but 2lbs of 4F will last a long time.
Rob

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 05:57:34 AM »
I agree Rob. One club I shot with years ago bought 12# of 4f once but that was for several shooters. I have 3 cans of 4f my self but all are less than half full.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 06:16:31 AM »
I bought a pound of Goex 4f... Wow, must've been 20 odd years ago... When it was still in the metal can. Think I paid $8 and change for it.

Still have a lot of it left. But in fairness there were several years there I didn't have a flinter to shoot... And I've since pretty much shifted over to priming with 3f from my horn.

I'm going to have to order some more powder soon. Glad to know it's starting to become a bit more available.

Mike

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2022, 03:25:57 PM »
travelersantiquesand+trading.com
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Maven

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 05:18:29 PM »
What standing bear said (excellent prices at Travelers', btw) +  Addicted to Black Powder (also excellent prices), but order enough to offset Hazmat and shipping costs.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Chocktaw Brave

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2022, 07:33:41 AM »
Looks like I need to move to Maine!
If you search for black powder and hens teeth here in Alaska, you’ll probably find the hens teeth first!

I went by sportsman’s warehouse last night, they told me they did not stock black powder because it was considered an explosive! Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!
Never mind all the other gunpowder, Tannerite and other materials they carry.  :(

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2022, 07:00:42 PM »
One thing I have learned during this pandemic is if you find what you are looking for and its available get it because there is a good chance it won't be if you wait. Black powder is in this category and with Goex not producing for whatever the reason, makes supplies even tighter. I now probably have enough with the purchase I made with Maine Powder House to last a while. But will probably still be on the lookout to see whats available. Percussion caps were scarce too a while ago not sure what the situation is right now but picked up some when I saw them and have enough to last a while now too. I shoot a lot of 3F but have a stock of 1F and 2F for larger calibers. Members on this forum tend to let others know where they get needed supplies which is great.
Best of luck guys,
Rob

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2022, 04:02:04 AM »
I bought a pound of Goex 4f... Wow, must've been 20 odd years ago... When it was still in the metal can. Think I paid $8 and change for it.

Still have a lot of it left. But in fairness there were several years there I didn't have a flinter to shoot... And I've since pretty much shifted over to priming with 3f from my horn.

I'm going to have to order some more powder soon. Glad to know it's starting to become a bit more available.

Mike

My remaining 2 cans of 4F are GOEX in metal cans.  It does last a good stretch if a person shoots cap guns as well. I have one capper and 3 flint guns.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 06:13:48 AM »
Sold my last capgun to a coworker a year or more ago... It was collecting dust and taking up space. Cabela's Hawken in .50 cal. Cheap gun, but it sure was accurate, and very reliable.

I'm strictly rocklock now.  ;D

Mike

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2022, 01:02:09 AM »
A big raise in prices may encourage the making of smaller caliber rifles.At the ripe old age of 15 I bought my first pound of black powder at a pawnshop in Charleston WV for $1.60 in an oval can,It was DuPont.I still have about 3/4 of a pound of DuPont 4fg I bought from E.M.Farris in 1968.If I ever get the rifle finished that has languished for 15 years I will prime it with this powder.A proof load of 100 grains will consist
of 25 grains of DuPont,Swiss,Curtis&Harvey and Elephant superposed and all 3fg.Three of the 4 are now extinct. The barrel is a 50 caliber GM.
Bob Roller

Online Leatherbark

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2022, 03:10:10 PM »
My first can of black powder and you other old timers will remember..........."Meteor Sporting Back Powder".  Seems it was $3 a pound at Muncy's sporting goods store in Gilbert, WV.  My wife had just bought me a CVA Kentucky rifle from J.C Penny and when I went into that store I was in awe of all the brass framed percussion revolvers along with the steel dragoons, bags of round balls, and patches and muzzleloading stuff.  Little did I know I was hooked for life.................Bob

Online Leatherbark

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2022, 03:32:32 PM »
I have some Swiss 2f on backorder there myself.  They charged me a $75 shipping fee for buying less than 25 pounds but I'm OK with it. It appears to include the Hazmat fee in that 75 dollars.

Bob

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2022, 05:27:29 PM »
I have some Swiss 2f on backorder there myself.  They charged me a $75 shipping fee for buying less than 25 pounds but I'm OK with it. It appears to include the Hazmat fee in that 75 dollars.

Bob

Yes I'm pretty sure that's the fee now for all 5 or 10# orders-and on other sized orders are currently permitted. I have my order made up, gotta find a printer for the form.  Time for me to try some Swiss and Schuetzen.
Hold to the Wind

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2022, 05:40:17 PM »
I have been a Goex guy for nearly 50 years this is the first time I purchase Swiss will be interested to see how it is I have heard a lot of good things about it. Looks like 5lbs to 10lbs is going to be standard for the time being.
Rob

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2022, 08:46:20 PM »

Bob

Yes I'm pretty sure that's the fee now for all 5 or 10# orders-and on other sized orders are currently permitted. I have my order made up, gotta find a printer for the form.  Time for me to try some Swiss and Schuetzen.

It has been some years since I purchased full or partial cases of BP.  But at that time the UPS hazmat fee was the same for partial cases as for a full case.  The claim was that the UPS hazmat fee went into training their warehouse and truck drivers how to deal with the proper handling of the black powder and what they had to do with the powder in the event of an accident involving black powder.  But UPS simply used that fee to increase the profits on the shipments. 

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2022, 08:57:12 PM »
My first can of black powder and you other old timers will remember..........."Meteor Sporting Back Powder".  Seems it was $3 a pound at Muncy's sporting goods store in Gilbert, WV.  My wife had just bought me a CVA Kentucky rifle from J.C Penny and when I went into that store I was in awe of all the brass framed percussion revolvers along with the steel dragoons, bags of round balls, and patches and muzzleloading stuff.  Little did I know I was hooked for life.................Bob

That Meteor Sporting black powder came out of the CIL powder plant in Canada before it was shut down in 1972.  CIL (Canadian Industries Limited) was a BP plant operating in Canada that was part of the ICI (C&H) powder plants.  In 1972 ICI figured it was time to get out of the black powder business.  The plant CIL plant in Canada was shut down as was their BP plant in Australia.  In 1985 my buddy in Australia stripped the usable black powder machinery out of that plant.    I have a bunch of photo of the machinery being pulled.   The military artillery powder put out by CIL was very good.  But the small arms powder were nothing to get excited about.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2022, 01:46:45 AM »
Powder marked Meteor, ICI and C&H was almost all we had back in the 70's here in Canada. Got some Dupont in around 76 or so & that wonderful American Deadshot 2F powder
I used with the slugs in the faster twist Bauska barrel.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2022, 02:11:03 AM »
Any of you guys ever get a 5lbs container of black powder? I have bought some of the modern stuff in 5lbs but not black powder I keep the cans so I could split it up I guess.
Rob

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2022, 02:16:07 AM »
I still have 4 pounds of the old 1fg Meteor BP left from when I picked some up at $5.00 a pound at our annual State ML shoot about 15 or 16 years ago. I've used it in .40 caliber on up to my 20 gauge trade gun, (even primed with it). It actually works really well in my .54's - just takes a bit more - than if I were using Goex 2fg...

Goex may be out 'a business now, but there are others that will pickup the void in supplying it. No doubt there will be some load tweaking for accuracy when changing powders, but I don't see that as a big deal.

;)
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days