Author Topic: Steel horn spout  (Read 852 times)

Offline Jim Spray

Steel horn spout
« on: January 19, 2022, 04:17:40 PM »
In my conversations with Tim he asked me if I had ever thought about making a spout out of steel. I had not but thought about it and decided to give it a try. I got one formed up and tried to solf solder it and that didn't go very well. I used 3 different torches but couldn't control the heat worth a darn. I found a large 200 watt soldering iron on line and ordered one. The thing is a monster but worked great. The steel spout is way harder to do than brass but I got one to come out the way I wanted it to. Not sure I will make any more of them though.
Jim

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Steel horn spout
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 04:59:19 PM »
 I can't say enough good about this spout, it is really well done. Now to come up with a horn worthy of it.

Tim C.

Offline John Proud

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 08:24:20 PM »
I can't recall seeing a steel one before, BUT now I have! Very nice looking spout.

What is the overall size? Height and base diameter?

John

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 09:13:04 PM »
A true master craftsman.  Turned out nice. 

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Jim Spray

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 12:09:07 AM »
Thanks for the nice comments guys! John tip is 1 3/4" long and the base is around 13/16". Everyone is a little different in size just depends how they form out when I pound them into shape. I don't think I have ever made 2 exally the same yet. This steel one may be a little longer.
Thanks,
Jim

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 12:18:03 AM »
  Here's a couple of Jim's Brass spouts, these are a shade bigger. They are also very well made. I asked Jim to make me this one. I had never seen one in Steel either. I was thinking "Outside The Box" and the horn will probably be in the same arena.

Tim

More Pix.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=69476.0
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 12:24:07 AM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 11:18:22 PM »
Very nice spouts and horns.  Two fine craftsmen.  Make that excellent craftsmen.    God Bless,  Marc