Author Topic: Henry Nock fowler  (Read 1828 times)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Henry Nock fowler
« on: January 19, 2022, 11:52:38 PM »
There's an interesting fowler made by Henry Nock on Gunbroker... the butt stock seems to have been adapted sometime after it was made.    Looks in pretty good shape for being so old. 
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: Henry Nock fowler
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 12:40:25 AM »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 01:24:42 AM »
YIKES! :o Probably modified to shoot olyphonts
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline tooguns

• I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 05:18:58 PM »
OK, I'll address the olyphont in the room, Why? Looks like an old stock was converted. Interesting but a bit odd.
It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any and all doubt....

Offline tooguns

• I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 06:21:45 PM »
Henry Nock

ANTIQUE FLINTLOCK FOWLER MUSKET BY HENRY NOCK, LONDON 1773 - 1806.

THE STOCK WAS EITHER REPAIRED OR ADDED TO DURING THE PERIOD OF USAGE AND LIKELY COLONY DONE AS THE ADDED PIECES ARE IN NEW ENGLAND CHERRY WOOD.

A LARGE CALIBER OF ABOUT .75 AND HAS A "WEDDING RING" AND TWIN "KEEPER" ABOUT 57" LONG WITH A 40" BARREL, MAKER MARKED AS IS THE LOCK PLATE.

ENGRAVED BRASS, TRIGGER GUARD, RAMROD PIPE & BUTTPLATE, GERMAN SILVER EXCUSSIONS FITTED WITH PEWTER NOSE CAP.

Many thanks to “BARSALOW AUCTION” for the pictures.

Found this
It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any and all doubt....

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 07:13:04 PM »
Nocks patent breech Trade Label
Feltwad

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 10:34:10 PM »
Guns converted for shooting large dangerous game in Africa, tended to be of larger (much larger) bore than 11 (.750") or 12 (.730").
However, those sizes appeared to be used in India more often, than Africa. imho
Francis Selous used a couple shortened 4 bore Dutch fowlers for elephant, for example.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 11:06:48 PM »
Tooguns, yep, that's the same fowler...  http://www.littlegun.info/arme%20britannique/artisan%20m%20n%20o/a%20nock%20gb.htm

I bid on it only because I knew it was something special, although I'm really not knowledgeable of these kinds of long arms.  Hope someone here got it... It sold for $511, which I think is probably a good deal for such a cool historic piece.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Pendraig

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2022, 11:53:30 PM »
Hi, Please allow me to introduce myself. I am the new owner of this Henry Nock Fowler. It is my first antique flintlock. I had an Armsport .50 cal. Kentucky rifle and currently a Miroku Brown Bess. I haven't done anything yet with the Nock except to sit looking at it. The lock works perfectly (haven't tried it with a flint yet). Will most likely start by having the barrel checked out while I ponder what to do with that club butt alteration on the stock. All advice or opinions welcome. Bill Snyder

Offline heinz

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2022, 02:58:21 AM »
Bill, That is a really neat gun.  I believe the stock restoration would be appropriate and result in an excellent example of the early 19th century English fowler.
If that was my gun I would be talking with Frank house about the restoration.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 05:51:45 PM by heinz »
kind regards, heinz

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2022, 03:57:24 PM »
I agree with Heinz above on all counts,  Bill.

As and when, I'd love you to show us close ups of the dismounted lock, inside and out.  also lock recess.

Best regards,
Richard.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2022, 04:06:34 PM »
That lock is about 98% same as a good number I made for a German shop.Mine had the roller on the frizzen instead of the spring.
I also would like to see the back side of the lock plate where the "engine" is.
Bob Roller

Pendraig

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2022, 03:53:20 AM »
Right now there is construction-related debris on and around my workbench, but I am expecting to have it cleared and do a break-down of the gun in a day or two. I'm hoping to find the London proof marks where I can't see them now. I will take pix and post them then. I want to take a "ship of Theseus" approach and preserve as much originality as possible, but would like this to be a functional piece when I'm done.