Author Topic: Brit. military rifle/ "coned"  (Read 901 times)

Offline JHeath

Brit. military rifle/ "coned"
« on: February 21, 2022, 08:26:44 PM »

Auction description:

"The barrel is not rifled in the first 4" of the barrel, and then is deeply rifled all the way back to the touch hole. Apparently this allowed the powder and wadding to be loaded, followed by a lead ball or bullet shaped projectile, which could be introduced into the smooth bore short section of the muzzle without fear of disturbance before being pushed into the rifling behind. "

It's a Henry Nock with multiple of his quirks, I don't doubt the muzzle is original.

https://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-rare-british-rifled-flintlock-carbine-made-by-henry-nock-with-internal-lock-circa-1800?variant=31974168625221

It sounds almost counterbored.

Offline Daryl

Re: Brit. military rifle/ "coned"
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 11:01:05 PM »
Yes - there were some weird ideas.
 Another was bores larger at the breech and muzzle, tightest in the exact middle of the barrel. The reason was "shoots further".
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline JHeath

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 10:39:36 PM »
Yes - there were some weird ideas.
 Another was bores larger at the breech and muzzle, tightest in the exact middle of the barrel. The reason was "shoots further".

This is what happens when you don’t have a standardized, consistent, chronograph. I wonder if that is part of why rifles became longrifles. They didn’t know how much they gained, or not gained. It’s like “knowing” that a pound of nails falls faster than a pound of feathers because you can’t measure it.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 01:06:07 AM »
I'm not sure when "ballistic pendulums" were invented, however some time in the early 19th century I think.
The US army thought their .69 paper ctg. with a .64" round ball and 165gr. of powder including prime, developed 1,700fps
from the typical 44" to 48"(I think) barrel.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 02:49:46 AM »
I'm not sure when "ballistic pendulums" were invented, however some time in the early 19th century I think.
The US army thought their .69 paper ctg. with a .64" round ball and 165gr. of powder including prime, developed 1,700fps
from the typical 44" to 48"(I think) barrel.

44" then 42"
Psalms 144