Author Topic: NWTG Gunstock Wood Selection  (Read 1696 times)

Offline Bison

• Starting Member
NWTG Gunstock Wood Selection
« on: January 20, 2022, 03:20:48 AM »
 I am planning on building several NWTGs next. I get a little hung up on details and this is no exception. I would like to use English Walnut but not sure where I can find plain English Walnut for a decent price. So I've been thinking of using Beech. Dunlap stocks has Beech gunstock blanks which I assume is American Beech. I don't know much about this wood and don't know if this is a good idea. Also not sure how different European Beech is from American Beech. Anybody have thoughts on this?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: NWTG Gunstock Wood Selection
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 03:33:28 AM »
Beech is something that was used but is bland. I think American Beech is hard to source and not always in stock. Ron Scott may have some English walnut in plain grades.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 04:16:29 AM »
There may be some English blanks here. Knowing the  length and budget would be helpful.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 04:52:34 AM »
Beech is tough to find. I checked with Dunlap's a few weeks ago and they did not expect to have any for some time. Use European walnut if you can but don't be afraid of black walnut if it comes down to it.

Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 05:28:43 AM »
Maybe I'm wrong but I think the NWTG was made by lots of makers from different locals and from some of the originals I have seen some looked to be stocked in black walnut. The musem of the fur trade and Jim Gordon's museum have a lot of different trade guns on display.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 05:43:15 AM »
As far as I can tell, the only woods I've found confirmed for English trade muskets is European Walnut and Beech.
Psalms 144

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 06:28:27 AM »
Does the OP want to build a NWTG style that was made across the pond or any NWTG ?  :-\  I had thought that there were NWTG makers here too.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 06:58:55 AM »
Does the OP want to build a NWTG style that was made across the pond or any NWTG ?  :-\  I had thought that there were NWTG makers here too.

There were indeed. Derringer, Tryon and Leman to name a few.
Psalms 144

Offline Bison

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 06:59:26 AM »

Looking to recreate a Whately NWTG made late 1700's for the Indian Trade. Would Black Walnut be very different from English Walnut? Dunlap has Black Walnut blanks for 150. I wouldn't want to pay much more than that for a plain English Walnut blank. The higher the cost the easier to lower my ideals.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 07:16:05 AM »
Hi Bison, I think in a general sort of way black will be less dense and lighter than European. Price shopping will be the deciding factor it sounds like so you might get a better deal if you buy in volume. Good luck with your builds.  :)

Offline Bison

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2022, 09:42:05 AM »
There may be some English blanks here. Knowing the  length and budget would be helpful.

I'm curious what a piece of English Walnut suitable for a NWTG would cost. 36" barrel.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2022, 02:07:00 PM »
I paid 285 for a plain piece not long ago.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2022, 03:32:17 PM »
Hi Bison,
English walnut would be best but you can make do with a dense piece of black walnut.  Scroll down to near the end of this thread where I explain how I make black walnut look like English.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=69571.0

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2022, 04:32:37 PM »
$300.00 pls or minus is a ballpark figure for plain or utility grade blanks in the size required for 36 inch barreled trade gun stocks. Occasionally true sapwood blanks are available for somewhat less. Or a stock that has a blemish. For instance, there is a blank here that will need a knot filled in the butt stock. Otherwise a strong stable blank with good grain flow.

Offline BrianS

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2022, 08:13:01 PM »
May I ask what might be an idiot's question... what is is the translation of 'NWTG'? Everyone seems to know except me; I'm feeling left out of the discussion.  LOL

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2022, 08:22:24 PM »
I'm assuming the OP means North west trade gun.

Offline Bison

• Starting Member
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2022, 08:12:30 PM »
So I have family north of Sacramento that own several english walnut orchards. I'm going to get a couple of logs from them and see if they would be suitable for gunstocks.

Offline fahnenschmied

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2022, 11:00:51 PM »
If you want to make a Whatley, it would probably have been walnut.  However, I can assure you there is no real difference between European beech and American.  I wanted to replicate a Carolina Gun and no supplier had any beech - euro or otherwise.  Yet a sawmill close to me had a huge slab of it.  Many of the cheaper Belgian guns used it.  However - I have not tried it - but someone here said you can simulate european walnut by using a yellow dye on American walnut.  And true, getting a bland straight grained european walnut blank would probably be harder than getting a nice piece.  My next gun will be a Northwest Gun of the 1812 era, and I have a slab of black American walnut set by for it.  I'll experiment with a yellow stain to make it more resemble English walnut.

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2022, 02:35:50 AM »
I posted some European English blanks in the For Sale section.