Author Topic: Cast Off  (Read 1007 times)

Offline flehto

Cast Off
« on: January 27, 2022, 05:12:18 PM »
I no longer build MLers but when I was doing such, a change of doing cast off   slightly different was done...not a big deal, but different.

Never had to incorporate a whole lot of  cast off on my builds because they were somewhat  slender LRs...so I used only  3/16" of cast off.

The cast off was only evident looking down  at the top of the comb ....there wasn't any cast off at  the toe because the butt was slanted in. The unbent TG then lined up w/in the straight  toeline perfectly. Looking at the Bplate from the rear, the slant wasn't evident. 

Anyone ever notice  if this was done on any originals?....Fred
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 05:16:01 PM by flehto »

Offline Dave B

Re: Cast Off
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 10:49:17 PM »
If I understand your question. You would put the gun in question in the vice with the top flat of the breach level and step back and vew the rifle from the butt stock end you should see the slight tipping of the return/heel of the butt plate vs the toe plate/butt plate junction. I have checked several original rifles and they all seem to have cast off of a slight amout but the toe section from the wrist lock area to the end of the trigger guard as a slight deviation and more from the end of the trigger guard back to the end of the toe plate. If you view them from the muzzle end looking down their length to the toe. The one original fowler I have is perfectly symetrical no cast off that I can tell. One of the rifles has a slight twist of the butt plate angle relative to the top flat of a couple degrees.

Dave Blaisdell

Offline flehto

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 11:36:42 PM »
Thanks for your input. W/ the slight amount of castoff I've used w/ the Bucks County LRs, this tipping of the buttstock isn't very noticeable but does eliminate the need to slightly bend the TG so its "tail" is  centered in the toeline. I've sold all my LRs w/ this feature and regret not taking some pics of this length. Shown is the TG area and the TG isn't bent......Dred

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 11:47:40 PM »
This is my latest build and you can see the slight amount of castoff and the Tipping of the butt plate heel in relationship to the toe when viewed from the butt end

« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 05:02:35 AM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

Offline flehto

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 05:30:17 PM »
Thanks for the pics and your explanation.....Fred