Author Topic: Pistol vise  (Read 800 times)

Offline davebozell

Pistol vise
« on: January 31, 2022, 02:15:36 AM »
I hear lots of comments about pistols being hard to build because they are difficult to hold in a vise.  This is the vise that I use when building pistols.  It’s a vise from a portable bandsaw with carpet lining the jaws.  It holds well with damaging anything.  I have two of them mounted so they can also be used to hold a rifle during construction.

Offline Ron Scott

Re: Pistol vise
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 05:13:46 PM »
I'd replace the carped with a silicone rubber sheet.It will be much less likely to let the pistol slide. Shore harness 50 is what I bought for mine. Try eBay.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 06:25:59 PM »
I've never heard of a vice like that. Interesting.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 09:20:59 PM »
For many years, I used a pair of silicon rubber pads that were purchased from Brownells but eventually they wore out, so I replaced them with a pair of pads I cut from a rubber conveyor belt.  The material is over 3/8" thick and has a fibre (cloth?) matrix interior, and the pads are stiff enough that they don't require backing with anything...they stand up by themselves.  With these pads, I can take a fully finished and chequered gun stock and clamp it in these pads without any fear of damaging the gun, and they do not slip.  We have rolls of this belting at our R & G Club...at one time, used it to staple targets to on our big bore ranges.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.