Author Topic: Simple 3 piece bag  (Read 2333 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Simple 3 piece bag
« on: January 21, 2022, 08:15:08 PM »
I picked this up recently. I’m guessing late percussion period but simple bags like this have probably been around a long while.

Andover, Vermont

Offline MeliusCreekTrapper

Re: Simple 3 piece bag
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 08:19:15 PM »
Very neat bag. Are the front and back panels also laced together (like the flap)?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 08:27:45 PM »
The front and back of the bag itself is sewn.  The flap looks original but it would have been easier to use one piece or same construction.

Andover, Vermont

Offline MeliusCreekTrapper

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 08:30:47 PM »
Thank you, Rich. I couldn't tell if it was laced and turned or stitched and turned.
Possibly their available leather piece did not have the size for a one piece back/flap?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 08:38:02 PM »
Thank you, Rich. I couldn't tell if it was laced and turned or stitched and turned.
Possibly their available leather piece did not have the size for a one piece back/flap?
That’s my guess, too
Andover, Vermont

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 05:00:17 AM »
The cut through the front of the flap is interesting. Do the three cuts in the front of the bag that roughly line up with it go all the way through the leather?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 05:17:58 AM »
The cut through the front of the flap is interesting. Do the three cuts in the front of the bag that roughly line up with it go all the way through the leather?
Yes, they do. What are you thinking about a fastener?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 05:37:12 PM »
Well, at 1st I was.
That cut in the flap looks really big for a button, and isn't stretched or otherwise expanded at either end. And the other 3 cuts don't really seem to line up for anything.

What are your thoughts?

Also wondering if it wasn't made of leather that had been reclaimed from some other leather item.
In the 1st picture that shows the inside of the flap, toward the upper right it looks like there is a line of stitching holes that have had the thread removed.

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 04:34:51 AM »
Could the flap be a repurposed replacement?
Kunk

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2022, 04:46:51 AM »
I’m thinking a sort of home-made bag, possibly from recycled leather, late percussion period. Small and simple; suitable for a small caliber rifle used about the local area.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Wmasswolf

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2022, 07:09:06 PM »
the thre holes are how you attach a rolled leather button. the hole in the lid would be bigger to allow to button to toggle through. (similar to this one)

Well, at 1st I was.
That cut in the flap looks really big for a button, and isn't stretched or otherwise expanded at either end. And the other 3 cuts don't really seem to line up for anything.

What are your thoughts?

Also wondering if it wasn't made of leather that had been reclaimed from some other leather item.
In the 1st picture that shows the inside of the flap, toward the upper right it looks like there is a line of stitching holes that have had the thread removed.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 02:05:09 AM by Wmasswolf »

Offline okieboy

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2022, 10:39:41 PM »
 Are you going to oil or treat the leather to slow down its deterioration? I wonder what museums do to stabilize leather objects.
Okieboy

Offline scottmc

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2022, 05:02:01 PM »
The leather also appears to be rather thick.  Is it or just the appearance from the photos?
Remember Paoli!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2022, 05:12:41 PM »
The leather also appears to be rather thick.  Is it or just the appearance from the photos?

It’s not overly thick. I’m not sure what to do for recovery or preservation on old leather. Suggestions, please!
Andover, Vermont