Author Topic: Needing Info (pictures added)  (Read 1648 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Needing Info (pictures added)
« on: January 25, 2022, 11:37:08 PM »
I recently picked up a Double Flint over and under marked Ioh H A Neustadt. Does anybody have a refence for German gunsmiths from that area. The name may be a gunsmith or owner. From the information that I have been able to gather this gun may be a castle gun because it has no provision for a ram rod. I have been told that it dates to about 1790 to 1810. I have never seen a side by side double flint gun that was an over under before until my show. Jim Lewis brought one from his collection to show me. This gun is solid built, 100% original in immaculate condition with no carving or decoration. Jim is the one who told me it was probably a castle gun. He it was used at a guard position on the castle wall and all of the loading supplies and the ram rod was stationed there at the position, therefore there was no need to have a provision for a ram rod. Sounds reasonable but if anybody has other ideas I would like to hear them. Jim also dated the gun to the 1790 to 1810 time frame because the locks have reinforced cocks. I would post pictures it it's OK to do so here.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 07:59:35 PM by bama »
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Levy

Re: Needing Info
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 06:20:38 PM »
If it is light enough for use in the field, then possibly a servant carried the reloading equipment and took care of those duties.  James Levy
James Levy

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Re: Needing Info
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 07:38:01 PM »
I will post the pictures, if they need to be removed that is OK. I know that this is not an American rifle.

James the gun weighs 11 lbs 5 oz so it is not light but could be carried in the field. What strikes me as strange is that there is no decoration on this gun at all. No carving or inlays, it is a basic but well built gun.

The last picture is my gun and Jim Lewis's gun to show the difference between the two gun. One is decorated like we are accustomed to seeing and then the other is very plain. It makes me think it is a military gun but I don't see any marking other than the 10 at the breech that might be military marking.

Jim Parker

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Needing Info (pictures added)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 09:07:33 PM »
Oddly nifty. I wouldn't look for fast ignition from the lower barrel.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline heinz

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 12:51:11 AM »
Neat gun.   Thanks for posting.  I wonder if those cocks are not replacements for the originals.  It does look like they put some thought into the pan design to accommodate the lower barrel touchhole
kind regards, heinz

Offline moodyholler

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 01:33:18 AM »
I owned one almost identical converted to percussion. I'll dig out the pics on shop computer tomorrow.  moodyholler

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 01:48:23 AM »
Interesting, the lower barrel appears to be a smoothbore.

Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline backsplash75

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 07:54:06 PM »
Austrians did issue a double rifle Doppelstutzen 1768- with one rifled barrel and one smooth barrel. This looks like a newer/later plainer but similar set up.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 07:57:14 PM by backsplash75 »

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 10:17:59 PM »
Very nice, love those locks!!!! The 10 and the witness mark appear to be pretty crudely done, Ive never seen any gun from Germany from any era, especially military or quasi military where the engraving wasn't well executed.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 12:28:01 AM »
Thanks for that video, I think that this gun does have a military history.

Robby I tend to agree with you about the engraving from the stand point if the engraving is done at time of manufacture. This appears to be done by a layman, maybe an armorer that had to put a rack number or ID number for some reason after manufacture. The engraving on the barrel is also very modest and plain, not bold as we are accustomed to seeing on German guns.

Was the town of Neustadt in Germany during the late 1700's & early 1800's? Maybe a military presence for the town of Neustadt? Is the name on the barrel the maker or owner? Enquiring minds want to know. The great condition that this gun is in is probably due to a military history. It was well care for and the fact that it was apparently made pretty close to the end of it's use as a military weapon, according to the video, probably is another reason.

I am getting an education here!
Jim Parker

Offline utseabee

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2022, 12:46:46 AM »
Jim,

I hope to see this one when I am there in March
The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 12:49:44 AM »
John it will be here. I may take it to Baltimore later in March.
Jim Parker

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2022, 12:55:56 AM »
That’s a horse of a gun ...!
Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2022, 12:56:29 AM »
This is what I found on the towns history. It looks like this gun was probably in use during Napoleons reign during the Département du Mont-Tonnerre.   

1254   Member of the Great Rhenish Town Federation (Großer Rheinische Städtebund)
1275   Granting of town rights
until 1797   Part of the Electorate of the Palatinate, seat of the Oberamt of Neustadt an der Haardt
1797–1815   Neustadt in the French (Département du Mont-Tonnerre)

Come on all you German scholars, help give this old Alabama Red Neck an education about this area.
Jim Parker

Offline 45-110

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2022, 01:07:59 AM »
Outstanding piece to study! I like the relived muzzle-rifling, fits in with all the recent discussion on the merits and methods of barrel crowning.
kw

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2022, 03:43:46 AM »
Well everyone I have found a little more info on this piece. The proper name for this gun is a Doppelstutzen & I believe it to be an M1795. Does anybody have the book Der Neue Stoeckel?

I am finding out that my first impression about this gun was true, It's a pretty rare bird.
Jim Parker