Author Topic: Drilling Pistol Off Set Hole  (Read 959 times)

Offline Reegee/Flint

Drilling Pistol Off Set Hole
« on: February 01, 2022, 07:32:59 AM »
Do any of you off set the pistol ram rod hole to give more clearance for the lock.
If so how much?

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Drilling Pistol Off Set Hole
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 08:42:47 AM »
The problem you create when you offset the ramrod hole to the lock plate side is that the entry pipe now ends up off center.
David

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 03:15:06 PM »
Do any of you off set the pistol ram rod hole to give more clearance for the lock.

No.
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 04:45:04 PM »
I have a original flintlock pistol that was broken in the forestock at the entry pipe. They didnt move it laterally but angled it to off set the hole to miss the front trigger guard tab. They did not let the inletting of the entry pipe follow the hole. It is only a few degrees off center, maybe 5-6 degrees. I angle my pistol ramrod holes to get an additional 1.5" of ramrod. Helps with loading or pulling a ball if you dry ball. Jack Rouse God rest his soul showed me this Idea in his rifleshop in Kentucky before I picked up this pistol.

Dave Blaisdell

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 05:27:27 PM »
I angle my pistol ramrod holes to get an additional 1.5" of ramrod. Helps with loading or pulling a ball if you dry ball. Jack Rouse God rest his soul showed me this Idea in his rifleshop in Kentucky before I picked up this pistol.

Jack had his own way of off setting the ramrod channel as Dave mentions.
He would drill the rr hole straight for approx 3 to 4 inches.  He would then use a router from the top, thru the barrel channel, and rout the next 4 to 5” path for the ramrod at a slight angle toward the side plate.  For the final step he made a special drill bit that was just a 3/8” bit that was fastened to a rod with a sort of crude universal joint.  This allowed the bit to pivot and it would follow the routed path toward the side plate, which allowed for the extra 1.5 to 2 inches of ramrod length .

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 06:32:38 PM »
It does not take much. And if the barrel is small like 7/8 and you are using a lock with a “deep” mainspring it can save an ugly lock mortise issue.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Reegee/Flint

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2022, 06:22:37 AM »
Thanks guys for the info, I`ll try to drill it a little toward  the side plate.