Author Topic: Geo. Washington Beck  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Geo. Washington Beck
« on: January 23, 2022, 04:05:38 PM »
        Early last spring I was contacted by a lodge of the Sons of the American Revolution from Philadelphia, PA to build a rifle for them.  After exploring several options, they decided on a copy of what I refer to as "The Washington Beck."  The story goes that this rifle was discovered in the 1920s in a Pennsylvania home, and was purchased.  The butt plate of the rifle carries an inscription that reads "To President George Washington," Mount Vernon, VA and is dated 1791.  The rifle is a wooden box J.P. Beck style rifle and is signed J.P. Beck in his distinctive signature.
The rifle is published in one of the Accouterments books and likely other places.  I needed much more detailed photos, and requested an assist from our group.  Between Dennis and Paul Kinder, I received a disc with everything that I needed to make a reasonable copy of the gun.  The gun will soon go to its new owners.  I took these photos outside before our recent 15/15 event.  We had 15 inches of snow and then the temp went down to 15 below...not good weather for photographs. 
       A special thank you to Dennis and Paul Kinder for their assistance------Ron

"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Geo. Washington Beck
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 05:17:30 PM »
Nifty
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Reegee/Flint

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 05:42:12 PM »
Love the stock colors, beautiful job of blending and highlighting.......

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 06:45:47 PM »
Very nice! Thanks for sharing
Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/

Offline RJD-VT

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 06:50:17 PM »
That real nice. Thanks for the pic’s and the story. I luv guns with stories… :)
No outdoor pics here either. Its been below zero all month, and windy too >:(

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2022, 08:03:58 PM »
Did a great job - very handsome rifle.  Did you shoot it?  I think I would really be tempted.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Online J. Talbert

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 08:26:33 PM »
Very nice rendition of the original, which I’ve had the pleasure of seeing several times at the Frazier museum in Louisville.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 09:50:24 PM »
Nicely done, all of it!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline acorn20

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 09:59:50 PM »
Very nicely done, Ron.  Will you have this for viewing at Lewisburg next week?  Dan
Dan Akers

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2022, 10:30:13 PM »
What a lovely rifle Ron.  I know the person who sponsored this art is happy.  The architecture and carving are very appealing, but those warm, rich finishes are the eye-catcher for me.  Nicely done sir.   God Bless,   Marc

Offline alex e.

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2022, 10:58:55 PM »
Very nice!! As always!
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2022, 11:24:38 PM »
That stock really pops to me.  Really nice finish.  Beautiful classy rifle.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2022, 05:52:28 PM »
Great project with a good story! And you did a real fine job recreating it.
Tom C.

Offline Percy

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2022, 06:00:12 PM »
Well done. New owners will be very happy.

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2022, 06:50:18 PM »
Is this based on the gun from the Frazier Museum in Louisville KY?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2022, 09:24:56 PM »
Ron, I'm curious regarding the stock's profile.  Did you copy the original and if so, is the comb line on your rifle the same as on the original?  The reason I ask is because your rifle deviates from what I have come to understand regarding the profile of the butt stock of Beck rifles.  A straight edge laid along the comb on your rifle comes to a point just above the breech of the barrel, yet on Beck rifles I've studied, that comb line intersects the wrist at about the middle.  This later profile is a good portion of why the Beck rifle is so conducive to offhand shooting, and seems to fit a great number of people.  Don Getz used to insist on this profile for these reasons.
I'd appreciate your comments please.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2022, 09:51:13 PM »
Hi Taylor,
           Good eye as usual,  Yes, this stock profile does deviate from some of the other Beck rifles that i have handled.   Beck rifles are noted for fitting a wide segment of people likely for the very reason you mentioned. I will include a photo taken from the original, and you can see the somewhat higher comb line.  None the less, I have shot and sighted in this rifle and it does shoot very well.  Too bad it will likely be used for display only.
           For those of you who have asked, I will not be participating in the 18th. Century artisan show this year.  In 2017 my wife was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, which is progressive.  I choose not to leave her alone to go to the show, I will miss it a lot, but priorities are priorities..

Ron

www images download
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2022, 01:06:46 AM »
Ron, great rifle as usual. Sorry to hear about your Misses, we will add her to our prayers. I would say that the early wood box Beck's are not an easy build to get right, you have done an admirable job on this rifle. Better than most I have seen. I am working on an early wood box Beck and hope it turns out as well as yours. Thanks for sharing this one with us.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline VP

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2022, 02:41:37 AM »
Ron,

Your work is top notch as always. I like how you duplicated this rifle. You know how i do like the Beck's!

VP

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2022, 10:09:44 PM »
Ron:  thanks for that great description and the photo of the original.  You are right, and you nailed the profile for sure.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Willbarq

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2022, 04:33:51 AM »
Hi Taylor,
           Good eye as usual,  Yes, this stock profile does deviate from some of the other Beck rifles that i have handled.   Beck rifles are noted for fitting a wide segment of people likely for the very reason you mentioned. I will include a photo taken from the original, and you can see the somewhat higher comb line.  None the less, I have shot and sighted in this rifle and it does shoot very well.  Too bad it will likely be used for display only.
           For those of you who have asked, I will not be participating in the 18th. Century artisan show this year.  In 2017 my wife was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, which is progressive.  I choose not to leave her alone to go to the show, I will miss it a lot, but priorities are priorities..

Ron

www images download
Here ya go.

dp photos free download

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2022, 02:55:57 PM »
Excellent work. I like that rifle
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline lctp24

• Starting Member
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2023, 07:39:47 PM »
I'm happy to report that I won this beautifully crafted rifle at the Fall Leadership Conference of the Sons of the American Revolution.  I love this excellent rifle and it will be passed down to my heirs.

I was in Louisville Kentucky for the Conference and stopped at the Frazier Museum and saw the original.  The maker did and an exceptional job in recreating the Beck rifle.