Author Topic: Davis locks  (Read 983 times)

Offline BarryE

Davis locks
« on: January 23, 2022, 10:18:47 PM »
What has been your experience with R. E. Davis, specifically M&G locks regarding workmanship and function?  Thanks!

Offline Stoner creek

Re: Davis locks
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 10:51:13 PM »
M&G are very good locks. The two best are the Classic and the Albrect. What is desirable about these two locks is that they have thick bolsters. They are fast too. I’ve used the Continental in the past but it doesn’t perform at the level of the previous two.
 I’m pretty much a Chambers devotee nowadays.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline bowkill

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 10:55:00 PM »
I have used a couple of them and I really like them. They are good locks, and well made.
μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take them)

Offline Frank

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 02:07:58 AM »
Jim Chambers and Jim Kibler locks for me. Superior workmanship and quality control.

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 02:17:07 AM »
I have bought 3 late Ketland Chamber's locks from various sellers here which I have planned projects for each. I have used Davis, L & R, and they are good but I think the Chambers locks are very good. I have no experience with Kibler locks
Rob
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 03:39:27 AM by borderdogs »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 02:31:31 AM »
Hi Barry,
Here is what I did to an M&G Albrecht lock that was not up to par.  Keep in mind, I was remaking it to match the Edward Marshall rifle, but it was a mediocre lock to begin with.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=63967.msg641297#msg641297

Keep in mind, most locks can be made into very fine locks.  It is just that some require a lot more work. 

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 03:10:01 AM »
I have used several M&G locks from Larry and they were all great when I got them. They are very well assembled and finished. I have never had to do any more than a little polishing of the inner lock plate and some of the mating surfaces but much less than a straight Davis and much much much less than an L&R. I love Chambers locks as well, but they don't make styles for everything. Kiblers locks are great too but pretty much match in appearance others that are already out there, ie pretty much the same as the Chambers Lake Ketland and Round Face Virginia lock.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt