Author Topic: Pyrites Problems  (Read 894 times)

Offline Dunc NZ

• Starting Member
Pyrites Problems
« on: January 29, 2022, 04:24:45 AM »
Hi I have a very nice .54 wheel lock carbine, Louis 13 period , which is totally unreliable when it comes to ignition , I have tried the gold sugary looking pyrites and cubed grey pyrites from China as well as a piece of firestick , and get very erratic ignition . Less than 1 in 10 success . None at all with the firestick , a lot of fine white sparks but no flash at all . I am awaiting an order of gold cubes from China , to see if they make a difference . Any ideas would be of help .

free fonts copy paste

Offline Daryl

Re: Pyrites Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 06:33:26 AM »
The vent hole looks plenty large.  At first thought the vent  looked a little high, but not in regards to the wheel.
Are you putting the pyrites right into the prime on the wheel or making it ride the cover until the trigger is pulled?
On the pistol Taylor made & using the smooth wheel, we rested the "flint" in the prime. Ignition every time, instantaneous.

Hope you find a solution.  Interesting peep.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 02:22:58 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Dunc NZ

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 05:55:49 AM »
Hi .I put the prime on each side of the wheel . I can see that putting the prime on the cover would have a lot of loose powder for the sparks to catch . The vent  hole is 1.5 mm and is in the right position the picture makes it look a bit high .

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 08:38:28 AM »
My converter is 1.5mm is .0591" - should be fine. I would put the powder on the wheel as well, so the sparks are generated in the powder.
That is what we did with the pistol Taylor built. No prime on the cover - why would you do that?
What we did, was prime the pan- all of it then lower the cock onto the "wheel" in the powder, then set the trigger and fire.
Daryl

Offline Dunc NZ

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 01:33:11 PM »
 Oops I have just realised you meant the pyrites riding the cover  . That is the trouble with late night conversations . I tried priming over the wheel but it seemed even more  reluctant to fire . I am waiting the  cubes to get here from China , if i cant get them to work I'll get a smooth wheel made and try that .

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 11:28:28 PM »
No - you misunderstood - pyrites or flint riding on the wheel, not the cover.
What I sad:

"Are you putting the pyrites right into the prime on the wheel or making it ride the cover until the trigger is pulled?

On the pistol Taylor made & using the smooth wheel, we rested the "flint" in the prime. Ignition every time, instantaneous.

then:

"What we did, was prime the pan- all of it then lower the cock onto the "wheel" in the powder, then set the trigger and fire."
Daryl