Author Topic: What to carry shot in  (Read 4026 times)

Offline Tim Ault

What to carry shot in
« on: January 29, 2022, 08:46:48 PM »
Gentlemen , since I’m starting a few Fowler/smoothbore guns I guess I should consider their loading needs . I’ve only been a rifleman  and carry the patch and ball in my bag, powder in a horn . So what do you all carry your shot in for the smooth bores ? And what exactly is it called so I can search for one ? It don’t need to be totally HC I’d rather have function over  form .

Offline Mike from OK

Re: What to carry shot in
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 08:57:43 PM »
Until I find something better, I am using a small to medium flat horn. It rides in my pouch.

Mike

Online Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 09:29:42 PM »
     Traditionally shot was carried in a "shot snake" a leather cylindrical container  with an adjustable charger on the end.  This was carried over the shoulder in much the same fashion as a possibles bag.
      When I hunt pheasants etc. at  a farm I carry plastic speed loaders (available from RMC sports) they carry your charge of shot on one end and the powder charge on the other.  I put over shot wads in one pocket and cushion wads in another.  This set up gets me back into action rapidly, w/o a lot of stuff to carry.
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 10:43:42 PM »
 If you can find one the book "Getting the lead out" Karl Z. Smith will give you an idea of whr was used.

Tim C.

Offline Kevin

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 11:12:13 PM »
Here are a few examples in both cloth and leather.

Enjoy,
Kevin

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 12:00:34 AM »
Thank you . So they usually just had a wooden plug ? Would a push button valve work also ?

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 01:02:25 AM »

This shot snake ..holds about 7-8 ounces …and has a very nice plug / stopper that clicks in…for a very tight fit. Can use it for balls too.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 02:16:22 AM »
I use a replica leather covered Dixon Flask for shot.  it has the typical English adjustable shot measure for a spout.
I locked (with solder) it at 1 1/8oz. as that is what I use in my 20 bore flinter.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2022, 02:55:32 AM »
From time to time, when out hunting, I don't really want to carry a load of gear.  Rather than a horn and pouch, I carry a bullet board and four or five of these brass chargers for powder.  I made these to hold up to 120 grains of 3F powder, but have made several others to hold larger and smaller powder charges. I also use one to carry five or six unpatched round balls or a charge of shot.  They work great slipped in a pocket for a quick afternoon walk about when I don't intend to do a lot of shooting.  (They also work well to keep small items organized inside a pouch.  I have another one that has a long wooden spool I made for thread and a few heavy needles.)

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 04:30:55 AM »
I use a shot snake sometimes.  Or just a ball bag with shot in it.

Nesmuck, those are not shot snakes.

Offline BJH

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 04:42:29 AM »
Typically I carry paper cartridges of powder, and shot. Plus appropriate wads for the amount of shooting I anticipated.  The total weight of stuff is a lot less this way. BJH
BJH

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2022, 05:39:44 AM »
Here is one shot snake, a commercial one from track.

Daryl

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2022, 06:54:14 AM »
I usually use pre made paper shot cups/cartridges as I really don't like messing with loose shot in the field.
I have in the past carried a small leather bag with several lengths of cane/bamboo containing premeasured shot loads in them, closed off with corks. These were carries in a small leather bag hanging from my shot pouch.

I seem to recall these tubes were cut to hold up to 1 1/4 ounce of #5 shot.

I usually load these flat folded side down then tear off the twisted end when even with the muzzle, a thin card on top of that holds it in place.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2022, 08:32:52 AM »
Those shot ctgs. should tighten up the patterns from a cylinder bored gun, or from a choked one, for that matter.
Daryl

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2022, 03:29:05 PM »
Thanks all for the great ideas, I’m getting way ahead of myself but I was already challenged to a round of sporting clays against a bud that shoots a modern 410 bore once I mentioned I’d be shooting a flintlock , so I gotta get after how I can carry enough shot . I’m liking the pre made paper tubes .

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2022, 04:18:39 PM »
Here is one shot snake, a commercial one from track.

The only problem with those is that Track hasn't had them in stock for a while now... I think I looked at getting one to go with my smoothbore after I got it... That's gotta be around 2 years ago now.

The only thing they have in stock is a shot flask with the choice of either an English or Irish head.

I would be interested to know what the holdup is... Because they were unobtainable before the pandemic mess.

(Wasn't my aim to pick on you Daryl... Just tired of seeing the words "out of stock" everywhere)

Mike

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2022, 10:00:41 PM »
I use a shot snake sometimes.  Or just a ball bag with shot in it.

Nesmuck, those are not shot snakes.

Fill me in….What is it ?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2022, 11:15:47 PM »
NP Mike. I posted it to show what a commercial shot snake looked like, is all. Whether they are available right now, or for years gone by, is/was immaterial.
Daryl

Online alacran

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2022, 04:30:53 PM »
If you are going to shoot a round of Sporting Clays, of say 50 targets, you are going to need a shot snake. I did buy one from track about 20 years ago.
It can carry 3 lbs. of shot. So, if you are shooting one ounce loads you are going to need to refill it before your round is over.
When I take it hunting, I only carry it half full.
I don't know what you guys are hunting with your smooth bores, but you don't appear to be optimistic. That is unless you are turkey hunting.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2022, 05:44:54 PM »
Snake belt as mentioned for heavy shooting at the clays range. For field shooting i prefer these shot/powder chargers carried in a pocket.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2022, 05:46:47 PM »
Daily bag limit for squirrels here is 8, my tin of cartridges holds, 8. Plus I have one already in the gun, and usually one more with the needed wadding in the little hanging pocket in my shot pouch for if I need a quick reload. This is more than enough usually, especially as I really don't feel like cleaning and prepping 8 squirrels at a time, lol.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2022, 09:36:34 PM »
 Keep in mind that horn, or tin, or even formed rawhide, sounds like a skeleton falling down a flight of stairs in a garbage can. A good shot snake that is welted, glued, and saddle stitched, (they bust their seams otherwise )is the way to hunt. A good Irish style valve makes it the ideal shot carrier. If you want to get fancy add another snake to the same strap for powder.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daryl

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2022, 12:04:16 AM »
Taylor has a really nice shot snake. Perhaps he could post a picture. The leather is quite thick, seems to me.
The one Track pictured, looks very thin and quite supple.
Daryl

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2022, 02:24:42 AM »
Daryl, I had that shot  snake [ TOF ] and it didn't hold up long. The adjustable measure tore out after one season and the leather was too worn to do much about it. The one I have now was made for me and the leather must be 1/8th thick !

Offline Daryl

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2022, 02:40:33 AM »
I wondered about the flimsy look of the Track snake. Tks for the heads-up.
Daryl