Author Topic: Jug Choke  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Reegee/Flint

Jug Choke
« on: February 03, 2022, 07:22:21 PM »
Can anyone give me a drawing and dimensions of a Jug Choke?
Would like to try one.

Offline Daryl

Re: Jug Choke
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 09:01:11 PM »
Google can be your friend.
The curved line is the breech direction.
The end choke, that is the length of the barrel's cylinder muzzle section is or can be varied depending on who's jug design is used.
Also, the depth and length of the enlarged section also varied. Suffice to say, it should be as long as the shot column + the wads - after that, well, that's experimentation.
Also, important are the angles of the enlargement and the confining front end of the choke.  I suspect every mfgr's dimensions differ slightly.

The different choke designs.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 09:04:33 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Longknife

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 06:12:23 PM »
Google can be your friend.
The curved line is the breech direction.
The end choke, that is the length of the barrel's cylinder muzzle section is or can be varied depending on who's jug design is used.
Also, the depth and length of the enlarged section also varied. Suffice to say, it should be as long as the shot column + the wads - after that, well, that's experimentation.
Also, important are the angles of the enlargement and the confining front end of the choke.  I suspect every mfgr's dimensions differ slightly.

The different choke designs.

I don't know who drew up that jug choke design, but I was told the choke needs to have the slower taper going into the jug and the faster taper coming out of the jug. Anyway, that's how I make mine and I have had excellent results. The jug would be opened up .08 for imp. cyl, .016 for mod and .024 for full....Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline Reegee/Flint

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 07:30:51 PM »
In the drawing are we firing from left to right or right to left?

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 03:03:17 AM »
By the drawing, left to right. That crooked line stands for continuation... Bob

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 03:57:25 AM »
Interesting, Ed.  I would suggest that the entrance into the 'jug' could even be a 90 degree angle and not effect pattern, however the more gradual entrance into the choke(muzzle end)would show better patterns the more gradual it was, as it will damage fewer pellets - just as happens with modern chokes, then the end-choke having to be at least the length
of the shot column, as practiced in Europe's best choked guns. I know that Ithaca did choking that was similar to the common swage choke in some of their modern guns, with no "end-choke".
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Reegee/Flint

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 04:29:14 AM »
 :)learned something about the wavy line ;D and choke construction!
Thanks