Author Topic: Cooking with gas  (Read 3853 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Cooking with gas
« on: February 03, 2022, 08:40:32 PM »
Pouring brass today

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Cooking with gas
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 08:42:37 PM »
Molds ready to pour.

Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 08:44:44 PM »
Mold prep

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 08:47:30 PM »
This should probably go up in gunbuilding

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 08:48:20 PM »
I admire your energy Mike...that's a lot of work.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 08:54:12 PM »

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 09:10:59 PM »
Thanks for sharing this, Mike.
Very interesting process for those of us who have never seen it.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 09:11:43 PM »
WOW!  That is one way to stay warm this winter.  How many pounds of brass did all those molds take, Mike?  And only 4 TG per mold?  No wonder they are costly.  Send me one for testing.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline General

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 09:16:58 PM »
  I took foundry in high school.  Loved it and made several pieces of which some are still on the wall in my garage.  Welding, machine shop, foundry and woodshop were my favorite classes.  Keep it going.  Nice work.
Best Wishes to all
                  George Patton

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 09:49:16 PM »
First pour done

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 09:50:17 PM »

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 10:28:39 PM »
Where do you inlay brass knuckles on a flintlock?  ;D
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline Hatchet-Jack

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2022, 10:54:43 PM »
I hope you're poring a Christian's Spring box and a side plate.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2022, 11:26:47 PM »
For whatever strange reason, I find this to be one of the most fascinating aspects of gun building.

Perhaps because even with all the advancements in technology, this process is pretty close to the same as it was centuries ago.

Thank you for sharing.

Mike

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2022, 11:41:56 PM »
I'm with Scott trying to figure out where the brass knucks go.  Maybe a handle for a short sword?

At any rate, Mike, you sure do make nice castings.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2022, 12:38:27 AM »
Hi Mike,
Thanks for sharing that.  It is really fascinating to see how you are doing that.  Wonderful!

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline okieboy

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2022, 01:13:11 AM »
 I really appreciate the photos also. I can't tell from the pictures, but are your patterns metal?
 I also wonder how you get the patterns for buttplates out of the sand with the concave surfaces that they would have.
 Thanks again.
Okieboy

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2022, 02:05:30 AM »
I admire your energy Mike...that's a lot of work.
I'm only assisting, the owner of the foundry is the brains of the outfit. I'm mainly there for the pour, he can't pour brass by himself, two man job. He does all of his aluminum pours by himself. I'm going back tomorrow to saw everything off the trees and clean up the castings. He doesn't have time to fool with my stuff, I'm small potatoes and he has a business to run. I'm just glad he took some time out today to do this, he's extremely busy.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2022, 02:07:51 AM »
WOW!  That is one way to stay warm this winter.  How many pounds of brass did all those molds take, Mike?  And only 4 TG per mold?  No wonder they are costly.  Send me one for testing.
90lbs on the first pour and probably 30lbs on the 2nd. He complained I had the shakes on the 1st pour ;D  Thats  a lot of weight for an old man with a bum shoulder!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2022, 02:09:49 AM »
I hope you're poring a Christian's Spring box and a side plate.
Nope, no boxes yet. I think he wants to pour every weekend until my inventory is full again, probably be 6 weeks till boxes are poured.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2022, 02:13:48 AM »
I really appreciate the photos also. I can't tell from the pictures, but are your patterns metal?
 I also wonder how you get the patterns for buttplates out of the sand with the concave surfaces that they would have.
 Thanks again.
Yes, my patterns are from existing brass mounts.  I'll get pics next time how the BP molds are done.  I got a quick lesson on how to do the molds, I think he wants me to do everything in the future so he can go about making a living with normal business.  Dad gumit..... ::) I really don't want to be in the foundry business.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2022, 02:21:02 AM »
Hot pot! Done for the day

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2022, 02:30:38 AM »
So interesting and rare to see it done. There must be such a special feeling of accomplishment and pride when you’ve gone to these steps to create parts for your work. Probably not many going to follow your path, unfortunately.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2022, 02:53:11 AM »
Nifty!!!    Best,

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2022, 03:09:42 AM »
A while ago I posted this video.  Aside from the over use of safety equipment (i.e.shoes, safety glasses, gloves, etc. !!!) it is AMAZING to watch these guys work !!!!

And it is these sorts of craftsman that used to cast the cannons of kings and empires......."Ultima Ratio Regnum"  (The final argument of kings) Inscription on French cannons by order of Louis XIV

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780