Author Topic: Curious question  (Read 1581 times)

Offline yellowhousejake

Curious question
« on: February 06, 2022, 12:46:33 AM »
On the rifle I am building now, the builder John Small has a small inlay on the bottom of his butt stock between the trigger guard and the toe plate. He has these on almost all of his rifles. I have seen a good many of these on other original rifles as well. The text for those rifle pictures always says the inlay was for a vent pick. There is never a vent pick with the rifle that I have seen.

How were those done? I can imagine a small wire pick on the end of a brass finial threaded into the inlay. I can't picture how the pick would stay in the inlay otherwise.

Does anyone know?

DAve

Offline Hunterdude

Re: Curious question
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 12:56:57 AM »
If it is a southern gun? It may be for a bird feather, the feather could be used as a vent pick that would not wallow out the Vent hole and could also plug the Vent hole if the rifle was leaning against a tree or wagon Loaded all day for subsistence hunting/ protection. The feather plugged touch hole was thought to help keep humidity from getting to the main charge.
   The "Fluff" on the feather would hold the feather in the inlay hole, and feathers are not costly so a few spares can be kept in the shot pouch if a feather was lost. Just my .02 as I am not a historian....just something I read.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 12:57:17 AM »
It's for a feather
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline yellowhousejake

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 04:35:28 AM »
It's for a feather

I can see that, but will it stay there? Does anyone do that now cause I've never seen a feather sticking out of a rifle. Makes sense, cheap-simple-replaceable.

DAve

Offline Hunterdude

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2022, 05:21:22 AM »
This video about southern guns is worth watching....but if you skip to about 7:35 seconds in, you will get a nice tutorial about the use of feathers in southern rifles.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2022, 05:24:43 PM »
Does anyone do that now cause I've never seen a feather sticking out of a rifle. Makes sense, cheap-simple-replaceable.
Not that it means anything, but possessing any part of a songbird is against federal law, however that doesn't apply to migratory game birds or some trash species like starlings and some sparrows.  DNR agents often attend rendezvous and like events, usually searching for raptor feathers and endangered specie hides.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2022, 05:48:46 PM »
If you need some chicken feathers the right size I’m sure I can collect some when they molt.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2022, 05:57:40 PM »
Does anyone do that now cause I've never seen a feather sticking out of a rifle. Makes sense, cheap-simple-replaceable.
Not that it means anything, but possessing any part of a songbird is against federal law, however that doesn't apply to migratory game birds or some trash species like starlings and some sparrows.  DNR agents often attend rendezvous and like events, usually searching for raptor feathers and endangered specie hides.

I like the idea of a parakeet/budgie feather as a substitute for the now extinct Carolina Parakeet. Quite colorful, no question about legality, and (very nearly) period correct.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2022, 08:28:14 PM »
It must be a pretty big touch hole for even a little tiny feather to fit in it.  :-\

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 09:02:31 PM »
I like to use partridge tail feathers . They hold up well, and are the right size for the 5/64th's touch holes I have on my hunting guns.