General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

new first bag

(1/2) > >>

Larry Pletcher:
With so many neat horns and bags posted recently I have been hesitating to post these shots.  The bag is elk and is quite soft.  It is a single with a pocket on the inside back.  The stain was a walnut stain from my dad's wood refinishing shop. 

I included Tim Crosby's horn as it will soon be attached to the bag.  The measure is one made for me by Steve Chapman.  I'm a fan of these fellows' work.  This group of items will be used with a Dickert  style gun that I hope will be made this winter.

There is a story about the vent pick pictured here.  One day when I was checking on my boat, I saw an owl pellet on the pier.  The owl left other evidence of his time perched on the spreaders on my mast, but the pellet was the only evidence that drew my interest. ( I used to dissect owl pellets in my fourth grade class to show my kids what owls ate.  Usually you can sort through the fur and find a skull and bones.  If the meal was a complete animal we could see the whole skeleton.)   This time I threw the pellet in my truck and forgot about it. 

Later in the week I was shooting with Steve Chapman and remembered the pellet.  We separated the fur and found the remains of a small animal and an incomplete skeleton.  The owl had torn the rodent apart and eaten the choice parts.  Among the bones was a broken leg bone  - no skull as I expected to find.  That leg bone is the handle of the vent pick.  Just the right size I think, and knowing that it went half way through an owl’s digestive system adds a little class, maybe. ;D

Regards,
Pletch

G. Elsenbeck:
Larry, you shouldn't feel bad for this effort.  This is a nice bag with the 'natural' line of the flap and the color sets is off nicely.  Of course, Tim and Steve's accouterments are excellent as well, but you really didn't need to add them to the pics to 'help'.  Your bag can stand on it's own. 
I especially liked the story of the owl pellet.  Great touch on the pick.

Gary

chapmans:
 Larry,
  I like the bag, I can't wait to see the rifle that's going to tag along with it!!
  Steve

Beaverman:
Nothing wrong with that one Larry!

Jefferson58:
Larry, that is a really good-looking pouch. The asymmetrical features really add to its look and the color is great. Are you going to bring it to Conner Prairie? I would love to see it in person. Nice first pouch!

Jeff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version