General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

Staining with poke berries?

(1/2) > >>

Pvt. Lon Grifle:
The staining power of poke berries is awesome. Has anyone used them in relation to horn,  fiber strap or bag, or leather staining. Would there be a way to "set" the stain on the item item?    Just wondering, perhaps, about a poke stained hemp horn strap or braided cord.   Its poke berry time here in eastern NC. 

Lon

trentOH:
I've heard of using soda ash or white vinegar as a mordant for pokeberrys.  But I have not experimented with it myself. I would imagine it would look very good with a white or black horn.

John SMOthermon:
I've seen ol' timers write their names on cotton pick sacks with poke berries back in the day. As i remember it held up well, i know when you get it on your skin you have to wear it off.  ;D

Pvt. Lon Grifle:
Thanks for the info.  I'm going to flat braid some natural jute twine for a horn sling. I''ll  crush the berries,  add alcohol, soak  some of  the sling's extra length, and try the mordant on the dried braid.   

If it sets the berry juice,  I have a 1770 style horn in a yellowed ivory sort of color to put the sling on, with the ends whipped with artificial sinew.   Lon

trentOH:
If it were wool you were dying, you'd be advised to wash the oils off of it, to take the dye better. I'm thinking if you hand braid the jute, you'll transfer enough oil from your hands to the jute to interfere with the dye-job. Wouldn't hurt to wear gloves while you're weaving, or dye the jute before you weave.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version