Author Topic: Gunmakers' Fair at Kempton 2022  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
Gunmakers' Fair at Kempton 2022
« on: February 11, 2022, 06:04:54 PM »
I assume that most of you all know that the Gunmakers' Fair at Dixon's is being brought back to life as the Gunmakers' Fair at Kempton.  The plan is to have the "ALR Tent" at The Fair, complete with the ALR pool, and its now time to start the planning for that.

We don't yet know just who of the old ALR gang will be providing demos.  We are working on that.  We also want to get some feed back from the ALR community for the topics that folks would like to see.  As you might recollect, the ALR demos are scheduled over the 3-day long weekend and generally are intended to run approximately 1 hour in length. 

If anyone has a topic she/he would like us to try to cover let us know right here.  For example I have been asked to present my ever popular "500 Ways to Make Inletting Mistakes".  this is an aspect of the gunmaking art I have perfected over many years.

We will be contacting the old ALR gang members directly to rope as many into providing demos as we can.  They get to demonstrate what ever they want so if you are going to make a suggestion, make good!

More later,

JMC
John Cholin

Offline Tom Currie

Re: Gunmakers' Fair at Kempton 2022
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 05:56:23 PM »
Hi John, I hope you are well. It's good to see that ALR is planning on being a part of the new fair. Life and work has taken me away from building for several years now but I'd sure like to travel east again and hang with you guys for a weekend.  I'll know by late spring if I'll be able to attend.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 01:28:19 AM »
I’d like to help. I think a talk on laying out a build from a plank would be of interest.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 03:17:33 AM »
This is really great news! Really was worried that this tradition was over!
Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 06:55:51 AM »
I’d like to help. I think a talk on laying out a build from a plank would be of interest.
I'd be interested in that, Rich, but I won't be able to make it this year.
-Joe Stein

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 04:05:20 PM »
How about "everything you need to know about sights but didn't think to ask". It would cover styles appropriate for difference schools and timeframes, how to make and install them, best ones for hunting, completion and for older eyes.

Dale H

Offline Chris in SE PA

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 03:15:38 AM »
Having shot T/C 1/2 stock flinters for almost 40 years, I'm very new to this hobby.  I'm in the process of my 1st LongRifle build.  I've jokingly said that I'll hunt with this rifle alone as I don't want any of my friends to get an up close look at my beginner mistakes.

With that said, I live close to Kempton.  I'll be there for certain.  I'm willing to volunteer my help for at least part of the weekend. 

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2022, 04:01:25 PM »
Rich - Thank you!  I will reach out to you directly.
Tom - I hope you can come, it would be great to see you again, you will ALWAYS be welcomed at the ALR tent!
Chris, - We all started out not knowing what we didn't know.  You will be welcome at the ALR tent.  There will be some of us doing demonstrations all three days, i hope.

I am just trying to carry on what Acer Saccharum (Tom) built over the course of 10 years.  The first year we did it we didn't have formal "permission" but were did out thing anyway, up on the hill under a portable sun fly, staying under the radar.  As each year passed we gathered more momentum and were finally considered a legitimate part of the Fair.  Then we were invited to do our thing under one of the big tents. The last year that the Fair was at Dixon's were were an important part of the program.  We stayed try to Tom's vision - a bunch of folks in love with our craft providing real-time demonstrations of how we do what we do.  I am just doing my best to keep Tom's vision alive while he gets well.

Best Regards,

JMC

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 05:41:18 PM »
Hi John,
Brett Davis (bdavis1975@comcast.net) is coordinating all the seminars for the Kempton Gunmaker's Fair.  He Tom and I have already discussed a bunch of ideas and as far as I know, the ALR venue is a go.  Much of the event may be housed indoors I believe.  Anyway, I certainly will be there and I believe Tom plans on it too.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2022, 01:29:27 AM »
  Here's my suggestion. A lot of us that try to build H.C. correct guns. Always (seems like ) don't put the right lock, butt plate or trigger guard with the gun we are trying to copy.
 Invariably we end up with one out of to correct.
 Maybe it's a crazy thought but it might be an interesting class. But then maybe not.
I know when I started building everyone said look at books. But somehow the pictures an the fine detail differences are not all that effective.. Just a thought.
 Oldtravler

Offline recurve

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2022, 01:52:56 AM »
Flint knapping  8) gun flints

« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 04:13:41 AM by recurve »

Offline Dwshotwell

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2022, 03:45:31 PM »
Building on Old Traveler’s comment about sorting out what parts go together for certain styles: I’d love a presentation on what details to look at to determine a rifle’s style. Thumbing through RCA, you see comments like “the details are clearly Germanic,” it as a newcomer, I ask wait… which details? What about them makes them Germanic? Seeing examples side by side with someone to point out which subtle characteristics make up the earmarks of a certain style would be very helpful in sorting things out.
David Shotwell

Offline Frank

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2022, 04:20:06 PM »
I would like to see a seminar on simple incised carving, as many guns only have incised carving. All I ever hear is , just stab it in, which is a vague description for me.

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2022, 03:12:37 AM »
I would love a seminar on Chisel and Engraver sharpening again . I'm getting old and have forgot more then I have learned over the years!
I need a few refresher courses to get me back on track! "A mind is a terrible thing to loose"!
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2022, 04:55:42 AM »
I’m a first timer with a plank build in progress and I’m doing whatever it takes to get out there. Maybe a four hour ride at the most. Looking forward to getting there!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2022, 04:13:22 PM »
Building on Old Traveler’s comment about sorting out what parts go together for certain styles: I’d love a presentation on what details to look at to determine a rifle’s style. Thumbing through RCA, you see comments like “the details are clearly Germanic,” it as a newcomer, I ask wait… which details? What about them makes them Germanic? Seeing examples side by side with someone to point out which subtle characteristics make up the earmarks of a certain style would be very helpful in sorting things out.

Somewhere somebody used to do a talk/demo like this but I can't remember who or where. Maybe someone does.

Tim C.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2022, 07:36:12 PM »
I assume that most of you all know that the Gunmakers' Fair at Dixon's is being brought back to life as the Gunmakers' Fair at Kempton.  The plan is to have the "ALR Tent" at The Fair, complete with the ALR pool, and its now time to start the planning for that.

We don't yet know just who of the old ALR gang will be providing demos.  We are working on that.  We also want to get some feed back from the ALR community for the topics that folks would like to see.  As you might recollect, the ALR demos are scheduled over the 3-day long weekend and generally are intended to run approximately 1 hour in length. 

If anyone has a topic she/he would like us to try to cover let us know right here.  For example I have been asked to present my ever popular "500 Ways to Make Inletting Mistakes".  this is an aspect of the gunmaking art I have perfected over many years.

We will be contacting the old ALR gang members directly to rope as many into providing demos as we can.  They get to demonstrate what ever they want so if you are going to make a suggestion, make good!

More later,

JMC
John Cholin

John,

I, and I'm sure many others, would appreciate any updates you could post about the schedule of ALR member demos as the information develops.  The NMLRA hasn't provided any information on their website other than the dates and location.  I'm planning on making the trip up from Florida for the event, even if the price of gasoline and hotels will make me poor.  Thanks.

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2022, 07:48:06 PM »
I confess to being a little concerned, not knowing what demos are planned and what role ALR has, if any.
Andover, Vermont