Author Topic: To vent or not to vent  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
To vent or not to vent
« on: February 12, 2022, 03:11:15 PM »
         One of my students is presently putting together a Rifle Shop Dublin Castle Bess kit for a client.  The way the kit is inlet the direct drilled vent will come right at the face of the breech as per originals.  I usually install a white lightening liner a little over 1/8 inch in front of the breech, but this would require moving the barrel back a bit (no big deal).  The client says he is not re-enacting, just shooting the gun.   What would be best on this gun, direct drilled or vented with a white lightening liner? 
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline wattlebuster

Re: To vent or not to vent
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 03:26:46 PM »
Id go with the white lightning. They cant be beat for instant sure ignition
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 04:02:53 PM »
Ron…, I’d probably look at moving the barrel back a tad, to utilize the liner, as well.  Another option, as I’m sure you know, would be to slightly notch the breech plug.  Pros and cons associated with that, as has been discussed many times.  A third option would be to cone the barrel on the outside, at the pan.  I’ve seen a few original muskets that had this treatment.  They weren’t Dublin Castle Bess’s, however, so not sure of the historical accuracy, if that’s a concern.    Best,

Ed
Ed Wenger

Birddog6

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 04:09:35 PM »
You actually have 4 options:

1:  Straight vent hole.
2:  Straight vent hole coned very slight cone on outside. 
3:  Straight vent hole coned inside & outside. (.025 straight wall thickness)
4:  Install Chambers vent liner. 

IMHO, The Chambers vent liner will be the fastest ignition of the 4.
          However #3 has been proven to be very fast as well.

As far as moving the barrel back, this normally can be done & not be noticed if it doesn't have
a inletted flared tang. However if it has a inletted flared tang, you will most likely have a slight
gap on each of the tang from moving the barrel back. This may require a couple small pieces of
wood to be glued in or some filer applied.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 04:39:28 PM »
Hi Ron,
A white lightning liner is a good option.  I believe Chambers offers them in stainless steel and carbon steel, which would tarnish with the barrel.  Regardless, even the stainless ones basically disappear.  Moving the barrel back might not be a bad idea as long as the lock inlet allows it.  I used a white lightning liner on this Bess.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 06:01:55 PM »
I'd go with an 1/8" vent hole. Most all the originals I have handled have one that big or bigger.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 06:29:16 PM »
Hi,
Yes, even if you use a liner drill it out to 3/32"or a little larger.

dave

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 08:09:37 PM »
I'm with Mike. Mucket vents were huge.
Psalms 144

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 08:36:07 PM »
The barrel wall on a Brown Bess Musket is thick enough to house the whole liner without the threads piercing through to the bore, I think.  I installed a 3/8" x 32 WL Liner in my Bess and it had perfect ignition.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2022, 08:44:06 PM »
        Thanks for your opinions and why, I appreciate it.  When asked, the client seemed more interested in shooting the gun than absolute historical correctness.  I think we will sit the barrel back a tad to get the vent hole a bit in front of the breech face.  A little build up on the breech face will not put him out of commission right away.
All the best,
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline fahnenschmied

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2022, 09:15:12 PM »
Or, you could bore just a plain touch hole like originals Brown Besses had.  My Bess has a touch hole right in front of the breech plug - no problems shooting it.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2022, 10:32:46 PM »
        Thanks for your opinions and why, I appreciate it.  When asked, the client seemed more interested in shooting the gun than absolute historical correctness.  I think we will sit the barrel back a tad to get the vent hole a bit in front of the breech face.  A little build up on the breech face will not put him out of commission right away.
All the best,
Ron

Hi Ron,
I build a lot of Besses to be shot for hunting and used for reenacting.  I urge a white lightning liner and drill the vent hole in the liner out to 3/32-1/8".  Ignition speed and reliability will be much enhanced.

dave