Author Topic: Bambi Bag!  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Panzerschwein

Bambi Bag!
« on: February 12, 2022, 09:28:59 PM »
A member on another board recently posted this picture of an 18th century embroidered French hunting bag:

Isn’t this just the coolest? I need to do more research on this amazing bag. I quite like the small deer on the strap, they remind me of the film Bambi. Just thought I’d share. Anyone know anything about this pouch or care to share any comments?

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Re: Bambi Bag!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 10:30:42 PM »
If the age is correct, then the condition it is in would very much bring to light the fact that it most likely was never actually used for hunting.
Psalms 144

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 11:50:03 PM »
It also reveals that not all 18th century bags were walnut hull died black ragged looking leather. There were some nicely done work to go with nicely made horns and guns.
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 12:06:16 AM »
“Viva la France “, very nice...!
Thanks for posting.

Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 12:17:03 AM »
 Looks like the Museum doesn't know much about it:

https://collections.mfa.org/objects/46667

Tim     

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 02:34:33 AM »
Looks like the Museum doesn't know much about it:

https://collections.mfa.org/objects/46667

Tim     

Interesting they call it a “lady’s bag”. I’m not sure what or what not would lead them to claim it was meant for women vs men? Granted, it’s quite fancy and embellished, but doesn’t seem overtly feminine at least through the lens of today?

Offline acorn20

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 06:42:12 AM »
An 18th century embroidered hunting bag of silk, silk thread and metallic thread?  Probably above most people's pay grade.  But, I like it!
Dan Akers

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2022, 02:31:43 PM »
Kinda foo foo if you ask me. I wouldn’t wear  that if you gave it to me.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline jbigley

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 03:03:26 AM »
Kinda foo foo if you ask me. I wouldn’t wear  that if you gave it to me.
Agreed, but...
If someone gave it to me, I would *graciously* accept it, with the thought in mind that my wife might like it --possibly so, but possibly not. If not, it would go into the petaca as a possible future trade item. "One men's trash, etc..."
Foo foo for sure, but interesting.
--JB

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2022, 07:07:30 PM »
Come on fellows, do you think these guys would say that bag had to much foo foo with it ?

That bag with a hunting motif would not have been owned by a women. It would have been owned by a well heeled gentleman. Not by a common porch dog like most men at that time were.
Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !