Author Topic: Lancaster County Screw-tip Horn: Staple Attachment Question  (Read 721 times)

Offline Mike M

• Ali-Mic Alaskan Malamutes
Lancaster County Screw-tip Horn: Staple Attachment Question
« on: February 14, 2022, 03:18:06 AM »
I am in the process of making a Lancaster County style Screw-tip Horn and came upon a question. When installing the forward staple, how is is mounted. I know the position part, but am unsure, and couldn't find any info on, how the staple is finished. Is it just driven straight in, or are the legs of the staple inside the horn bent over. If they are bent over, how is that done. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Image credit: Larry Pletcher, January 12, 2010 - Black Powder Mag
V/R,
Mike
In God We Trust
So Mote It Be ∴

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Lancaster County Screw-tip Horn: Staple Attachment Question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 04:33:00 PM »
  See if this helps.

Tim C.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=18938.msg178546#msg178546

The wire I use is 1/16",the legs are flatted out a bit before the barbs are cut. Once the first hole is drilled you can take another piece of wire, push it in the hole and get and idea of how long the leg needs to be. I'm sure there are other ways and yes some staples were bent over.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 04:40:08 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 04:44:31 PM »
Here's a copy of an explanation by CrackShot in 2015 and is very applicable to your project. 
"My inclination is to use a period process.I have drilled the hole very snug and simply twisted it tightly into the hole. A length of drill rod was slid into the powder hole to drive and bend the wire over from inside the horn. I had a firm and watertight attachment - as judged at Dixon's. There was no need for any "faux hide glue" or "modern pine pitch resin" to be mixed, stained and pressed into the hole.If the center powder hole is not straight for easy access - as is so commonly the case, I have used a bit of brass rod with a slight bend to it in driving the staple ends over to lock them down from inside. Very specialized custom made tool - rivals my horn neck cutting gauge for complexity...

A side note, (which can be seen in the photos) I do not hang the horn by the wire bail, but rather tie the strap around the neck and through the wire bail which simply serves to hold the strap in its proper place on the neck. The wire is then not working nearly as hard. I have been told that this was correct and it makes sense. If you look at originals, most of the wires are pretty thin and it is doubtful that these held the weight of full horns."

You can use the 3/32 steel rods commonly find on the web or use welding wire that can be found in Lowes in bales for a few bucks that will last a lifetime.  In addition, please don't twist the staple.  It looks cool but the old timers knew what would happen to your strap after must rubbing against the sharp edges of the twists. 

Hope this helps. 
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Mike M

• Ali-Mic Alaskan Malamutes
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 02:37:35 AM »
Tim & G,
Thank you. Exactly the information I needed. Much appreciated.
V/R,
Mike
In God We Trust
So Mote It Be ∴