Author Topic: Somebody is building from blanks  (Read 9476 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Somebody is building from blanks
« on: February 16, 2022, 06:36:29 PM »
I see nice stock blanks being sought and bought; same with barrels, locks, specific buttplates or guards. So it seems that building from a blank is still alive and well among our members. I haven’t been sharing current builds unless they are unusual and also I feel my slow pace with moving and still working full time makes “in progress” builds a little glacial in their timeframe.

But, I’d like to see more builds in progress from design phase to completed phase.

I’m building an English trade gun based on one reputed to have been ordered by Sir William Johnson for his conferences with Eastern tribes. It’s shown in For Trade and Treaty.

Barrel: I’m using a 48” Rayl 20 ga octagon to round barrel. It’s a little breech heavy compared to the original but has great balance. I think I got this from RE Davis back in the day for around $250.
Lock: The lock is a Chris Evrard-assembled Chambers English round faced lock, with no pan bridle. I bought Wilson castings from the Rifle Shoppebut decided as this would be my shooter I wanted top quality that would not look totally out of place. I think I have about $225 in the lock.
Stock: I got a wormy piece of English walnut from Dunlap at Dixon’s years ago for $100. Spectacular figure.
Buttplate: Made from sheet brass. $10.
Guard: MBS. Color is a little weird. Maybe $30.
Thimbles: Mike Lea. None are better for trade guns. I paid what they are worth, about $25-$30 each as I recall.
Trigger: Hand formed from .125 cold rolled, thinned, shoe peened. $3?
Trigger plate:None; just a “nut”.
Ramrod end: Rolled steel, brazed. $2?
Front sight:Cut and filed spider style from brass stock.
Underlugs: Soldered on, standard parts, $15 total.

Construction details: ramrod hole is 5/16” but ramrod swells to 7/16” at muzzle. Web at muzzle is 1/8” and ramrod touches the barrel at the breech because the breech has a fast taper.

I’ll update with pix later today. What are you building from a blank?
Andover, Vermont

Offline wattlebuster

Re: Somebody is building from blanks
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 06:50:45 PM »
Your gonna like that Evrard lock. Ive got 2 an wish I would have bought a third. Smoothest lock Ive ever had in my hands. My Caywood is faster but the Evrard is so smoooooth
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline DBoone

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 07:55:29 PM »
I have been at gunmaking for many years.  I built my first smooth rifle in 1965 from a Dixie pre-carved stock and a .32 cal. straight Numrich barrel.  After that I built from a blank and have used blanks 99% of the time since.

I ventured away from blanks during the 80's to see if the pre-carves could save time and therefore money.  I had about 5 patterns that I had made up and had a carver in PA working with them. 

I don't think at that time that I actually built over 20 guns with pre-carves.  What I did learn was that I am in love with the "process" of building from a blank.  The satisfaction of building from a pre-carve was not there.  I also just paid the carver for saving me labor that I would normally get paid for.

I realize that not everyone wants to build a lot of guns, professionally or otherwise.  For them the kits and pre-carves are a great alternative. 

I have built several Chambers kits and 4 or 5 Kibler kits.  Kiblers are unbelieveably easy but rarely do you see one finished that sells for a handsome price to equal their quality unless carved, or otherwise made special by decoration or assembly and finish by a renowned builder.

I love the process and challenges the blank offers and have learned how to move quickly so as not to lose by fighting the wood removal process. 

Also to be considered is the fact that no matter how hard I try (and even though I can make similar guns), I cannot make 2 identical guns from blanks...... which unlike many of the top shelf kits can almost "not" be avoided.

For me it's a labor of love and the process....for me.... is everything.

I have paid for this education over time and actually dread having to use a pre-carve stock from a customer, or otherwise........which I rarely do any more.

Don Bruton

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 07:57:50 PM »
Issues or difficult decisions with my trade gun build:
Fabricated buttplate: I made the buttplate from 0.050” brass stock. Dumb move. For anything that’s not a simple wrap-around this is too thin and flex to inlet easily.

Barrel finish: all original well-used originals have browned barrels now but we’re often bright when new. I want this trade gun to be “in use” for 10 or more years so I browned the barrel and am rubbing it back for wear with oil and pumice. I considered a gray finish. I taped the bottom half of the barrel to keep it bright and just filed. The breech is rounded now on the bottom flats, octagon on what shows.

Lock finish: In progress, will look like it’s seen use.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 08:15:51 PM »
Also to be considered is the fact that no matter how hard I try (and even though I can make similar guns), I cannot make 2 identical guns from blanks......

Hope you're well Don!  I think this particular point you mention is a benefit IMHO.  It renders each gun unique.  I've had a few requests over the years for 'bench copies' or otherwise a copy of a pre-existing gun, whether antique or not, and I usually completely lose interest about 5 minutes into the project.  I just find it boring.  Why make something that's already been made?  Maybe it's a fine line between copying something exactly and making something similar, or "looks like" etc.  I find trying to copy something 'exactly' to be too constraining and kind of like I imagine it must be to be strapped into an old straightjacket!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2022, 08:51:13 PM »
I enjoy the process of blank builds and have talked a good amount of time with Don Bruton about it. One of my all time favorite guns is one that Don made for me. I started with kit guns from DGW in 1971 but haven't the slightest interest in them now. I think I have a partially built kit from Track in the basement somewhere that I got bored with several years ago. My current interest is Southern style iron mounted pure unadulterated Snuffy Smith guns usually long and always flint.

Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline dstock

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2022, 10:04:56 PM »
Don I think you said it all and said it very well.
I pretty much feel the same way.
God Bless
Doug B

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 10:58:35 PM »
Also to be considered is the fact that no matter how hard I try (and even though I can make similar guns), I cannot make 2 identical guns from blanks......

Hope you're well Don!  I think this particular point you mention is a benefit IMHO.  It renders each gun unique.  I've had a few requests over the years for 'bench copies' or otherwise a copy of a pre-existing gun, whether antique or not, and I usually completely lose interest about 5 minutes into the project.  I just find it boring.  Why make something that's already been made?  Maybe it's a fine line between copying something exactly and making something similar, or "looks like" etc.  I find trying to copy something 'exactly' to be too constraining and kind of like I imagine it must be to be strapped into an old straightjacket!

My sentiments exactly.  I couldn't make a bench copy of anything to save my life. Trying to do so prevents any kind of creativity.

Offline PAFlinter

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2022, 11:05:23 PM »
I am currently tackling a half stock Hawken.  I have procured a Lock, Griffin breech, and entry pipe from the Hawken Shop.  Butt plate was one Taylor had kicking around.  I am using a hand rifled .58 cal tapered HT barrel 36 inches long 1-75 twist.  Wood is an amazing piece of hard curly maple I got MANY years ago from Jon Laubach.  It's so hard now water just runs off of it!  I have the barrel inlet along with the tang and drilled the RR hole.  That's as far as I have gotten.  I too take forever to get any where so I won't post anything till it kinda looks like a gun,  ;D.  I have a set of Bob Roller triggers I will be using along with a Hammer provided by Bob.  I will make the upper pipes, nose cap, , keys, escustions, patch box, toe plate, side plate.  Misc screws I have so don't need to worry about those.

I've been planning this for a long time and hopefully I can do these parts justice.  Time will tell.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 11:09:42 PM by PAFlinter »

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2022, 12:29:45 AM »
I am planning on building a Hawken/plains type rifle from a plank too. Mine will be a short rifle sort of modeled after the short "Wyoming" Hawken. Except mine will be .58 with a 28" barrel the stock is a nice piece of curly maple the lock is a Davis Hawken lock uncut plate. I am planning on using a set of Bob Rollers triggers with it. I have the barrel channel mostly cut and the ramrod drilled and I have the profile of the rifle drawn on the stock but I havent cut the stock to profile yet. This is one that I want to try to shape with hand planes.

I am also planing on building fullstock flint from Don Stith parts set in .50 using a Chambers late Ketland lock. When I get the time I will take a picture of both and post them.
Rob

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2022, 12:30:17 AM »
I have a dozen or more barrels in blanks all lined up against the wall. If I get them all built in my lifetime it will be atremendous achievement. I also have a whole corner full of barrels that still need to go into wood which is stacked deep in the garage. I rummaged around in my shop and found a couple dozen locks I didn't know I had. I'm too slow and broken down to get much done anymore.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2022, 01:36:44 AM »
I have a dozen or more barrels in blanks all lined up against the wall. If I get them all built in my lifetime it will be atremendous achievement. I also have a whole corner full of barrels that still need to go into wood which is stacked deep in the garage. I rummaged around in my shop and found a couple dozen locks I didn't know I had. I'm too slow and broken down to get much done anymore.
I can relate. I’m getting to where builds take me so long I lose some of the parts.
Andover, Vermont

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2022, 01:51:41 AM »
A few here various stages top 1 plain .40 caliber for a friend. #2 .60 caliber waiting for inspiration. Last a bear pistol. Thought I'd never build another pistol.

" not all who wander are lost"

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2022, 02:03:09 AM »
I prefer building from a blank it keeps the mind busy and I like to be a little different
That's just me

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2022, 02:03:25 AM »
All my gun work is currently on hold as we pack up for the potential upcoming move. Before I started packing, I was in the design part of a trade pistol build. 
Psalms 144

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2022, 02:27:12 AM »
Does that mean that you don’t want this beautiful Getz barrel I’ve been holding for you??? 😆
Stop Marxism in America

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2022, 02:30:00 AM »
Inlet a 38" 50 cal B wt. into this plain hard maple stock yesterday, tomorrow the rest of the breech. Looking to do an early Lehigh with carving. Need to do more incise carving so I'm going to try and stretch out on this one. Iron mounts, maybe a frugal mans' gun who carved it himself for his son. Fluid on this one as I want a quick handling , comfortable shooter. I have a similar one that kicks like a mule and I look to remedy those issues. This will be my seventh plank build and my first one was from a kit from Cabin Creek that went together with no issues. I have been known to get in trouble when I was younger, building has kept me too busy for any nonsense, oh yeah I got old as well. Love to see the work, this can be a good thread. Thanks Rich.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2022, 02:55:52 AM »
Currently working on re-stocking an 1850's double 10-bore.  Got the wood from Ron Scott (English Walnut from Albania or someplace) which is nicely figured.  But tough as an old hen to work with!

Also have a Jaeger built from a plank that I work on from time to time.  Same wood as above, takes a LOT of sweat to move a little wood!

And, trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear with a TC Hawken kit.  Got the fore end all slenderized, now working on the butt.

Also dealing with a gas hot water heater that has gone on strike.  Finally got one coming from Lowe's.  Tired of washing, etc., in cold water.  "Thermopile voltage low".  Whatever the heck a thermopile is.

Tailbones are healing well from that surgery.  Wish the rest of my spine could be fixed!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Dwshotwell

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2022, 03:14:32 AM »

Gearing up to see if there’s a Fowler in there somewhere. First build from a plank getting ready to go. Very excited.
David Shotwell

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2022, 04:18:27 AM »
I've been busy building an Isaac Berlin smoothie.  Rice .62 cal, 42" barrel, Kibler colonial lock.  'Ole Isaac did some funky stuff with the finials from the buttplate to the triggerguard and everywhere in between, but I've been enjoying it.  I'm getting ready to carve and spent the last two weeks practicing and basically just trying to understand the different elements he used in his carving.  Tomorrow I plan on laying it out on the gun.  Good thread Rich, looking forward to seeing your build.

upload picture

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2022, 04:37:38 AM »
Wow, Tommy!
Andover, Vermont

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2022, 04:42:10 AM »
Hope pics come thru. Started this. 1/2  stock last spring. Getting pretty close now.  I’ve always used a blank ( except for finishing someone else’s kit sfter they started it)

upload images for free
Mike Mullins

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2022, 04:48:22 AM »
Mike, nice clean work on that half-stock!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2022, 04:59:56 AM »
Thank you for the compliment,  Craig.   ( I didn’t post the picture of the pieces of ramrod glued into the mis-drilled holes……..)
Mike Mullins

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2022, 05:15:36 AM »
Not real sure what I'm doing with the latest blank, haven't decided.  But I did decide to get more wood from Troy next chance I get.  Getting closer to getting back to the bench but fencing has taken top, non-work priority.  I get the curly ash 40 done and then I'll jump on the maple 36, then a walnut 30 and also a cherry 45.   All TN.
Hold to the Wind