Author Topic: regional chunk gunning question  (Read 3209 times)

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
regional chunk gunning question
« on: October 13, 2009, 05:27:12 PM »
were chunk gunning type turkey shoots ever big in the state of mississippi?
I know there was the following made famous by Alvin York in the Tennessee hills, but I am wondering how far and wide its popularity spread...thanks
TCA
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: regional chunk gunning question
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 06:17:03 PM »
Can't relate much about ol Miss; but here in Penna the live turkey shoots were fairly popular over the years.  You notice I said 'were'.  I guess the tree huggers would rather see the live birds squished alive in a slaughter house setting.  These shoots were offhand at 90 to 100 yards with bird 'cleaners' on hand usually to process them.  Now the clubs hand out fresh or frozen birds and most females at home like them better thataway! ::)

Our club felt that since everybody has to have a turkey shoot in Nov we decided to be different and we have a ham shoot!!  24 hams our Nov shoot.  We shoot at (among other thingees) a turkey head knock down silohuette at 75 yds $3 for 2 shots.  Offhand of course.   We 'show' about 2 3/4 in of the head........ ::)

Offline LynnC

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 06:01:29 AM »
I know a local historian or two who may know a little about ole time matches.

Just a matter of running into them to ask ::)

BTW - where abouts in Miss?..........................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 04:06:06 PM »
Anywhere in the north west corner is about where I am thinking of...
close to both Arkansas and Tennessee.
TCA 
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Mike R

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 05:36:54 PM »
TCA 

Can't say for sure, but part of my ancestors came from that region and I have visited the area frequently since the 40s and never came across a turkey shoot or chunk gun match.  At least in my experience the folks were farmers and shotgunners mostly.  Not to say it didn't hapen....alot of hunters in the region...

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 07:46:16 PM »
That puts you smack-dab in Memphis.  Other than Civil War stuff this place is a muzzleloading desert.  Lots of river traffic and derringers, but mostly plantations.  They may have had informal hog shoots as hog dressing is still one of the old skills still demonstrated at Ames Plantation.

I tried to convince some locals that a hog shoot was a TN tradition and would be a great fundraiser, but got no interest.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline acorn20

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 05:25:45 AM »
Back in the seventies our muzzleloading club would always sponsor a live turkey shoot for its members.  It was always held about 8:00 o'clock on the morning of Thanksgiving and it was MEMBERS ONLY.  After we helped the mrs. stuff and prepare our own turkey and get it in the oven, we'd gather our guns and head to the range. 

One of the club members would buy 8 or 10 toms from a local farmer and have them tied and bagged in burlap with their heads protruding from one of the corners of the bags.  We'd place them, one or two at a time, behind the 60 yard, railroad tie backstop and draw names to see who shot first.  All shooting was done off-hand. 

The last shoot we had, five of us claimed all the birds with three of them attributed to me.  Now unlike Roger's earlier post, we didn't have bird cleaners on hand to process them and the last thing I wanted to do was drag sixty-some pounds of turkeys home to clean on Thanksgiving morning.  One of the fellows always butchered hogs on Thanksgiving weekend and had his scalding trough set up.  He invited everyone to his farm and we fired up the scalding trough and had at it.  Honest to God, we looked like a turkey processing assembly line.  The USDA would have been proud of us. 

We redistributed the turkeys amongst us and I believe everyone made it home before there was scum on the gravy.

Dan
Dan Akers