Author Topic: John Roller Lock.  (Read 4673 times)

YANKEEDROIE

John Roller Lock.
« on: October 10, 2009, 03:15:19 AM »
Hi folks , I have a dandy long rifle with a Roller lock . I became involved with this site by chance when I sent out a few requests for information and was brought here , where I belong I might add. Anyways the lock I'm told was made by John Roller and is second to none. Anyone know if John made guns and used his  locks? 

Offline BJH

Re: John Roller Lock.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 04:56:42 AM »
If I remember right his name is Bob Roller. His locks enjoy a good reputation.  BJH
BJH

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 06:10:36 AM »
Yep, it was Bob Roller, and if you do a google search on the name you'll find several  hits.  I believe I read in one of the ALR threads just a few days ago that he's still making fine locks, but only selling them to the European market.   I've never heard of a complete   Roller made rifle, though.  SCL

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 10:38:47 AM »
Does John roller make all his own parts or does he assemble and modify kits?

Best regards
Rolfkt

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 02:52:24 PM »
Bob & I exchanged emails earlier in the week.  He continues to make locks & triggers on a limited basis & is making a lock for me now based on the Chambers late Ketland.  He uses the plate & external parts & machines the internals himself.
His work is absolutely first rate.  I don't know what he is doing for the European market.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 04:12:01 PM »
Bob did a lot of flint locks based on the L & R Manton lock.  His internals are beautiful and they work great, suprer workmanship.   I have never seen a gun built by him.........Don

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 05:10:05 PM »
I have seen some single shots by him.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 09:06:33 PM »
I have seen some single shots by him.
This is his latest......mini-Whitworth.  His lock and sights, .375 16 twist GM barrel, Griffith Bros breech and tang.  Shoots a 335 grain bullet.  It's still in the white.  He said if it don't shoot worth a @!*% that he'd strip it down and part it out.  It it does, he'll finish it.  He's wanted to build this gun for years and figured at age 74 he'd better get it done.  He don't build guns for sale.

I don't know what he is doing for the European market.
He deals with competition shooters worldwide because they want the best and will pay for it.  Most of the Pedersoli Gibbs used in international competition have his locks on them.  He makes an Alex Henry lock based on the Davis plate, and several others
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 03:15:05 PM »
Shoot me a PM & I will fix you up!
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.