Author Topic: Second Horn  (Read 3301 times)

Bob F

Second Horn
« on: October 11, 2009, 12:12:53 AM »
Finished my second horn.  This one was for my father as a tribute to his 30 years of service.  I hand-scraped the flats and the plug is hand cut and fitted maple with a staple made from an old square iron nail I found in my basement.  It helps when you live in a 110 year old farmhouse formerly occupied by a furniture maker.

Any suggestions for my next attempt are always welcome.  I might try some engrailing next time, thought about it this time but wasn't confident enough to take a hammer and gouge to it yet.

Pvt. Lon Grifle

Re: Second Horn
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 03:53:36 AM »
That is a nice horn. It is especially warming to see you remember his service in today's world.  Regards, Lon

seesbirds

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 01:38:10 PM »
that's good work for a second horn....much better than my first attempt!  What did you use to darken in the lettering?  Keep working on your scrimshaw and you'll improve.  I can see some places where you need improvement but over all not bad for a second horn.

Regards,

Mark Preston
www.shinintimespowderhorns.com

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
For a second horn, not bad at all.  I concur with Mark's comments regarding the engraving, but I'm not the expert on that phase,,,,,,yet.  :D
Seriously, the overall effort is very good and only more practice will demonstrate improved techniques.  Keep up the good work.
And a great idea to honor your Dad's contribution.
Gary
'68 Tet, Hue, Phu Bai, Dong Ha.
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

eseabee1

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 01:04:26 AM »
nice work and tell your Dad thanks for his service

Bob F

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 02:29:57 AM »
Thanks for the words of encouragement....

My dad did 2 tours and said nothing made him more nervous then when I was flying during the first Gulf War.  He was still in then and acting as a "courier" at the White House, he had just dropped some information off and stopped in to visit a friend who showed him my plane up on patrol over northern Iraq on a monitor.

Thanks again to everyone...

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 05:22:48 PM »
 Good start, there will be more, I'll bet. Do you have a source for that hemp webbing?

Thanks, Tim C.

Bob F

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 01:08:32 AM »
I actually got that one on Ebay.  I wish I had a better source.