General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

Second Horn

(1/2) > >>

Bob F:
Finished my second horn.  This one was for my father as a tribute to his 30 years of service.  I hand-scraped the flats and the plug is hand cut and fitted maple with a staple made from an old square iron nail I found in my basement.  It helps when you live in a 110 year old farmhouse formerly occupied by a furniture maker.

Any suggestions for my next attempt are always welcome.  I might try some engrailing next time, thought about it this time but wasn't confident enough to take a hammer and gouge to it yet.

Pvt. Lon Grifle:
That is a nice horn. It is especially warming to see you remember his service in today's world.  Regards, Lon

seesbirds:
that's good work for a second horn....much better than my first attempt!  What did you use to darken in the lettering?  Keep working on your scrimshaw and you'll improve.  I can see some places where you need improvement but over all not bad for a second horn.

Regards,

Mark Preston
www.shinintimespowderhorns.com

G. Elsenbeck:
For a second horn, not bad at all.  I concur with Mark's comments regarding the engraving, but I'm not the expert on that phase,,,,,,yet.  :D
Seriously, the overall effort is very good and only more practice will demonstrate improved techniques.  Keep up the good work.
And a great idea to honor your Dad's contribution.
Gary
'68 Tet, Hue, Phu Bai, Dong Ha.

eseabee1:
nice work and tell your Dad thanks for his service

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version