General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

DOM or Pipe Barrels

(1/8) > >>

JEH:
I acquired a nice Ken Netting Type G trade gun a few months back. The 45" barrel has a weld seam full length on the inside. I assume he machined the profile from a piece of DOM tubing. Anyone have any experience with these? Are they safe to shoot with the relatively low BP pressures.

Bob Roller:

--- Quote from: JEH on February 26, 2022, 11:16:02 PM ---I acquired a nice Ken Netting Type G trade gun a few months back. The 45" barrel has a weld seam full length on the inside. I assume he machined the profile from a piece of DOM tubing. Anyone have any experience with these? Are they safe to shoot with the relatively low BP pressures.

--- End quote ---

We all know what pipe is but what is DOM??
Bob Roller

JPK:
D.O.M. Means drawn over mandrill. My cannon is 1126 dom and stands up to 500 grains of cannon powder and a 1.06 pound lead ball. I proof tested with 800 grains of 1fg and a two pound slug.
This tube has no discernible weld.

rich pierce:

--- Quote from: JEH on February 26, 2022, 11:16:02 PM ---I acquired a nice Ken Netting Type G trade gun a few months back. The 45" barrel has a weld seam full length on the inside. I assume he machined the profile from a piece of DOM tubing. Anyone have any experience with these? Are they safe to shoot with the relatively low BP pressures.

--- End quote ---
Ken used a lot of these. So far, so good. I’ve got one in the corner of the shop; haven’t used it yet. Very nicely profiled.

JEH:
Thanks for the replies. When I was a kid I used to make cannons out of 3/4" gas pipe. I guess surviving that made the age and wisdom kick in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version