Author Topic: Hardening And Tempering Siler Lock Components  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
Hardening And Tempering Siler Lock Components
« on: March 01, 2022, 03:50:32 PM »
I acquired a built large Siler lock, however the parts that needed hardening and tempering was never done.

I have the instruction sheets that came with the kit in 1998, however I want to know how any of you are doing it?
I have a coal forge, torches, and ovens to work with. I was also given a jar full of Kasenit, but it doesn't call for that.

Thoughts, tips, and tricks?  Frizzen, tumbler, sear, and fly need the service.   
Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/

Offline Marcruger

Re: Hardening And Tempering Siler Lock Components
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 03:55:40 PM »
I would make a call to Chambers and chat with Jim or Barbie about it.  If it is not a Deluxe Siler it might be a good opportunity to upgrade some components? God bless, Marc

Jim Evans

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 04:08:16 PM »
I acquired a built large Siler lock, however the parts that needed hardening and tempering was never done.

I have the instruction sheets that came with the kit in 1998, however I want to know how any of you are doing it?
I have a coal forge, torches, and ovens to work with. I was also given a jar full of Kasenit, but it doesn't call for that.

Thoughts, tips, and tricks?  Frizzen, tumbler, sear, and fly need the service.

Here is some instruction that may help you.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 04:19:02 PM »
If it's not supposed to be case hardened then it must be a steel that hardens in oil or water and then be tempered to relieve after hardening.
Early in my lock making I sought and found materials that did not have to be case hardened for lock parts.Sear,tumbler and "fly"all oil hardened.I have never tried to assemble a kit and anyone that has is ahead of me.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 06:17:22 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 05:21:08 PM »
I used the instructions that came with mine. If I remember correctly, I had to redo the frizzen to get it right....Shot that rifle for years and it was still sparking strong when I sold it.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline heinz

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 01:00:51 AM »
I followed the instructions and used a Mapp gas torch in a ceramic flower pot as a heat source.  I always did it by color.  Worked fine and I think I did a dozen of them. I did a few with an acetylene torch which is much easier. 
Be careful not to get the frizzed too hard, the flint has to be able to shave it. 
kind regards, heinz

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 04:17:42 AM »
Thanks for the info, will call and see about upgrading parts on this lock first. Then onto taking a crack at it!
Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/