Author Topic: Horn repair  (Read 1073 times)

Offline kswan

• Starting Member
Horn repair
« on: March 02, 2022, 12:46:24 AM »
So, I've been reading about various methods of repairing a horn. Looking at using rawhide and it looks like most are laced on. My hole is small where the drill came to close while drilling the spout. my question, how do you make the rawhide water proof? would it not just get wet and slide off?

Thanks

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Horn repair
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 12:59:22 AM »
When rawhide dries it turns very hard and takes some doing to re-hydrate.
Andover, Vermont

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 01:53:52 AM »
 Rawhide will work but so will thin leather, depends on you, leather is easier to work with, especially Deer hide, I'm going to talk Deer here. To use either make a paper pattern, start out with a flattened out cone shape. Once you get it close cut one out of leather wet it and see how it fits. Then, soak it and wring it, try fit it. Once you are close trim flat edges so there is a bit of a space between the two edges. Now you can punch the stitching holes. Take some waterproof glue, Tightbond II works and coat the the side that will be on the horn, while it is wet. Use a two needle saddle stitch, waxed thread, I start stitching going down through the first hole on either side then across to the next hole and come from underneath, pulling tight as you go. At the last two holes go though them twice, you can do this at the start also if you want, you'll have a double stitch. Take the needle points and push them back down through the stitching pull tight and trim off the tag ends they will slip back underneath the stitches and be held by the glue. Wipe everything with a wet rag and let it dry. Think of it like lacing you shoes and instead of tiring a knot feed the tag ends back down through the laces.
 I would suggest practicing on a piece of scrap wood turned to a horn/cone shape. Sounds like a lot but once you get it it's pretty simple. 
 Tin and Pewter are a couple more options and two other stories.

Tim

Here is a Pic of how the patch is held on to dry:

This is the horn:

« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 04:12:59 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 03:52:05 AM »
I am not qualified to speak on how to repair the horn, but this horn is one I got from Tim Crosby. The leather repair has withstood everything I can throw at it. I use it in all sorts of Pacific N.W. weather. Just follow Tim's recommendations and you should be fine for years to come.

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline kswan

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 03:04:54 PM »
Good looking leather repair. Thanks for the feedback.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 03:46:08 PM »

This was pretty badly damaged, but its my favorite horn so I took a piece of rawhide, sized it up, thinned it down, and soaked it in warm water till it was soft and pliable. I brushed on some hide glue laid it on the horn and bound it with waxed string, the string marks are still visible, cuz I liked them. Let it dry a couple days or so, I don't remember exactly, unbind it and finish it in with files. I just use Johnsons paste wax on it occasionally and have been using it for years, hunting and at the range. No problems!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2022, 08:04:06 PM »
Here is a horn that I broke through the outer wall while drilling for the spout hole. I then drilled an hole through the spout which entered the main body cavity correctly. I then filled the first hole where it broke through the horn wall with JB epoxy. This repair will have a decorative inlay or collar added to cover up the epoxy.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2022, 03:42:02 AM »
I just messed one up by drilling through the outside curve.  Cut the tip off just in front of the "bad" hole, filed the horn side down to a male plug that would fit into the base of tip piece and drilled the hole into the horn cavity.  I redrilled the tip from the cut side and filled the bad hole with epoxy.  Then cut a "female" hole in the tip piece to match the "male" plug filed into the horn piece.  Glued them together.  The horn strap will attach to a groove cut on the glue line which will eliminate any cosmetic issues.  The "glue line" is barely visible in the strap groove even without the strap.  Still working on the horn - carving the tip and making the plug.  The whole process shortened the horn by about a half inch.  It was a lot of work to salvage an average looking horn, but I hate to lose.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2022, 04:18:30 AM »
I was going to suggest you contact the esteemed Mr. Tim Crosby, but I see he weighed in already.  Trust what he says.   God Bless,   Marc