Author Topic: French Trade Gun, Type "D"  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
French Trade Gun, Type "D"
« on: March 03, 2022, 04:07:23 AM »
I started working on the Fusil kit from Clay Smith three days ago. It is going along pretty well except for a rotten start when I fudged up the butt plate (I hack-sawed the casting blob off and my blade went into the elbow of the butt plate, ugh). Another is on the way. So I went ahead and inlet the lock and side plate and drilled and tapped the lock bolts. Then inlet the trigger plate and shaped the trigger, and pinned it in place. It works very smoothly with a nice light pull.
Next was getting the barrel in, which needed to be moved back about 3/16" to align with where the touch hole should go. (I didn't pin it yet) Next came drilling the barrel tang screw into the trigger plate and tapping it. I decided to end the day's work with getting the trigger guard cleaned up and inlet. Will pin and screw it tomorrow.

It will be interesting to compare the finished gun to the Fusil de Chasse.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 04:11:09 AM by Bob Gerard »

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Re: French Trade Gun, Type "D"
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 06:36:34 AM »
So much info has come out since the Hamilton book. Why the Type D designator keeps getting used is beyond me.
Psalms 144

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 05:51:59 PM »
Who's making that German lock?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 08:57:17 PM »
Clay told me the lock came from the Mold and Gun Shop. It is also in Muzzleloaders Builders Supply
LK-FRD-008 - Zornes French Type D flintlock

"This French style lock is 5 7/8" long X 1" tall. Ideal lock for plain smoothbores. This lock does have a fly, so it can used with single or double set triggers. Uses a 3/4" #FLINT6E, which works best used with the bevel facing down. By Larry Zornes' Mold and Gun Shop."

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 12:47:37 AM »
Clay told me the lock came from the Mold and Gun Shop. It is also in Muzzleloaders Builders Supply
LK-FRD-008 - Zornes French Type D flintlock

"This French style lock is 5 7/8" long X 1" tall. Ideal lock for plain smoothbores. This lock does have a fly, so it can used with single or double set triggers. Uses a 3/4" #FLINT6E, which works best used with the bevel facing down. By Larry Zornes' Mold and Gun Shop."
I'll be getting one of those for a german rifle I have coming up. French locks don't look anything like that. I'd go with TOTW TVLLE lock for most any french gun up to 1760 or so.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2022, 01:13:55 AM »
Mike, I am sure your German rifle will be a beauty!
Silly me, I asked Clay Smith after getting his French Fusil kit if it was a Jaeger lock :P
He said 'no' and that the French copied their locks from German styles.
So I thought I was learning something.
Who am I to know  :-\

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2022, 01:52:25 AM »
Mike, I am sure your German rifle will be a beauty!
Silly me, I asked Clay Smith after getting his French Fusil kit if it was a Jaeger lock :P
He said 'no' and that the French copied their locks from German styles.
So I thought I was learning something.
Who am I to know  :-\
Look at some original french guns. Lock style will become instantly obvious.

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 07:21:10 PM »

It will be interesting to compare the finished gun to the Fusil de Chasse.

So what’s the difference between the two ?  Furniture ? Architecture?   

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2022, 07:31:13 PM »
Yes, the furniture is quite different as well as the stock profile. The FdC has more sweep to the stock belly than the Type D. And the barrels are different, the type D is from the Mold and Gun shop and is 41” long, and much lighter.

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2022, 08:00:32 PM »
Thanks Bob , I believe that’s the same barrel I have (MG) mines 41.5”  still deciding what type of gun I’m gonna use it for . Startin to grow fond of those French buttstock lines

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2022, 08:14:48 PM »
Check out Kevin Gladyzs book. The French trade guns being marketed today aren't anything like originals.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2022, 11:35:27 PM »
Yes, the furniture is quite different as well as the stock profile. The FdC has more sweep to the stock belly than the Type D. And the barrels are different, the type D is from the Mold and Gun shop and is 41” long, and much lighter.

Stock shape and even furniture would depend on the decade produced. And most French trade guns had barrels of 48" and over.
Psalms 144

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2022, 11:56:08 PM »

Stock shape and even furniture would depend on the decade produced. And most French trade guns had barrels of 48" and over.
53" and a bit was standard for French trade guns. The de chasse was an alliance gun and generally given to French allies. The de trait was intended for trade to the indians.