Author Topic: Two Lancaster Horns  (Read 1839 times)

Offline utseabee

Two Lancaster Horns
« on: February 04, 2022, 03:52:09 AM »
I picked up these two horns this weekend. I know nothing about horns. I am hoping that some of you can educate me a little on horns. What constitutes a Lancaster horn? How does one tell the difference between a Lancaster horn and one made somewhere else? Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks
John

« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 04:11:16 AM by utseabee »
The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline smoke and flames

Re: Two Lancaster Horns
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 03:56:04 AM »
Nice looking horns Tom.  I found my horn and bag this week while unpacking.  Very nice show you guys put on
Marty

Offline utseabee

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 03:59:00 AM »
More pictures

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 04:54:40 PM »
 I'm going to take a guess and say Mid 19th Century Lancaster Co. horns. Hopefully this will get someone who knows more than I to correct me and give us a better idea.
 Good find, nice horns thanks for posting.

Tim

Offline Kevin

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 04:56:43 PM »
Greetings John,

Those are two very nice horns.  Thanks for posting photos.  Art  DeCamp's website might give some starting insights on the various types/locations of horns and his book (info on his website) is a treasure trove of photos and information about  these type of horns. 

http://www.artspowderhorns.com/

Take Care,
Kevin

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 09:12:49 PM »
Those are two darned nice horns. Good for you on finding then! And thank you for posting them here to be seen and admired. You hit the lottery on these, one being a standard Lancaster fixed spout and the other a screw tip. Condition appears to be excellent, but I have one question. Perhaps my old eyes are fooling with me again, but the butt plug on the screw tip seems larger than the end of the horn. If true not sure why, but you might want to send the horn to Tim here and have him make it right. If it's a mirage, then you're home free. Thanks agin!
Dick

Offline utseabee

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 01:02:17 AM »
Those are two darned nice horns. Good for you on finding then! And thank you for posting them here to be seen and admired. You hit the lottery on these, one being a standard Lancaster fixed spout and the other a screw tip. Condition appears to be excellent, but I have one question. Perhaps my old eyes are fooling with me again, but the butt plug on the screw tip seems larger than the end of the horn. If true not sure why, but you might want to send the horn to Tim here and have him make it right. If it's a mirage, then you're home free. Thanks agin!
Dick

Dick,
Thank You. You are correct on the butt end, it is larger than the horn. I assume the horn may have been damaged and maybe shortened with the plug put back in. I believe it's been that way for a long time. There are also three notches filed into the rim of the plug by a user at some point in it's use. IS it worth re fitting the end or should it be left alone?

Tim and Kevin,
Thank  you for the replies I will check out Art's site

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 06:03:14 AM »
I dunno UT. It's a matter of  personal preference I guess. If you like it as it then by all means leave it be. If not, then Tim can modify the existing plug and refit it or make a new one. Speaking personally, I like things to appear like they should, so I would probably go for the refit. I really like your reasoning on why the plug is oversized. it's a home run! Makes all the sense in the world. The horns are just fine and improvement on these would be a hard go.Thanks!
Dick   

Offline utseabee

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2022, 02:48:47 AM »
I dunno UT. It's a matter of  personal preference I guess. If you like it as it then by all means leave it be. If not, then Tim can modify the existing plug and refit it or make a new one. Speaking personally, I like things to appear like they should, so I would probably go for the refit. I really like your reasoning on why the plug is oversized. it's a home run! Makes all the sense in the world. The horns are just fine and improvement on these would be a hard go.Thanks!
Dick

Personally, I think it would look better correct. I will contact Tim and see what he says.
Thank You
John

Offline Tecumseh

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2022, 03:42:52 PM »
Nice find on both horns.

Offline okieboy

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2022, 01:54:50 AM »
 No body seems to have replied to the original question in the post: What identifies these as Lancaster horns as opposed to having been made somewhere else?
 As difficult as area/school attributions for rifle can sometimes be, telling where a horn was made would seem to be a magnitude more difficult. Am I missing something?
Okieboy

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2022, 04:18:19 AM »
OKBoy, look a the spouts: one is a Lancaster 'shaped screw tip' and the other is a Lancaster 'bottle nose'. The bases are relatively flat and usually have a carrying strap staple. There is also a staple on the front end. Compare these against a York horn or a Reading horn and you can pick up the differences. Better yet get a couple of good books on powder horns that will illustrate and point out the differences. They are sold on here once in awhile.
Dcik

Offline Mark Tyler