Author Topic: Cosmoline alternatives?  (Read 2832 times)

Offline Tacksman45

Cosmoline alternatives?
« on: February 28, 2022, 07:55:13 AM »
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there are any products like Cosmoline which you can purchase a small amount of (less than a quart) at a hardware or auto supply store which have the same corrosion inhibiting properties?

Thanks!
Tacksman

Offline T*O*F

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline yulzari

Re: Cosmoline alternatives?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 08:19:36 PM »
Vaseline is essentially a refined version of cosmoline. Just less sticky and softer but preserves in the same way and easy to remove.
Nothing suceeds like a beakless budgie

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 09:15:39 PM »
Rig works wonders, maybe better than cosmoline.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 11:50:29 PM »
LPS-3 is a spray that dries like a tacky wax.  You can find it around.  Fluid film is a close second.  Midway used to sell actual cosmoline. 

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2022, 05:17:54 AM »
RIG. In my opinion as good as it gets.
Dennis

Offline JBJ

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 03:51:54 PM »
Another vote for RIG. Never has failed me.
J.B.

Offline doulos

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2022, 09:13:14 PM »
RIG is the best long term storage protection Ive used.

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2022, 04:56:42 AM »
A few good heavy coats of wax will work just as well . Think about it if you seal the surface from air and moisture it can’t rust . Regular ole bearing grease works well too but a bit messy . Now if I was burying a metal whatever in a crate underground I’d want good old fashion cosmoline 

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2022, 06:14:22 PM »
Rig works wonders, maybe better than cosmoline.

R.I.G.= Rust Inhibiting Grease and it works.
Bob Roller

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2022, 08:20:07 PM »
Since we're on the subject...

I am assuming that if you don't remove all traces of RIG from the bore you will suffer the consequences during cleanup after shooting.

Mike

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2022, 10:37:47 PM »
All rig that isn't wiped from the bore before loading, should be blasted out with the first shot, as it was totally wiped down onto the powder with the first loaded patched ball.
Am I missing something?
Daryl

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2022, 10:53:13 PM »
All rig that isn't wiped from the bore before loading, should be blasted out with the first shot, as it was totally wiped down onto the powder with the first loaded patched ball.
Am I missing something?

Makes sense if you load a tight enough combo to squeegee the bore and rifling.

Mike

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2022, 12:50:37 AM »
Are there any first hand experience cases where petroleum caused tar buildup in a ML?

I have never seen it.  Has anyone seen it with their own eyes?  I'd like to know the exact circumstance.

It is put out there constantly that petroleum and BP do not mix.  There myth and superstition associated with BP.  Is petroleum tar a real thing?

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2022, 01:55:44 AM »
It has been my standard practice for decades to clean with warm water, followed by a WD40-saturated patch and then two dry patches, followed by a heavy application of RIG.  I run one, or perhaps two, dry patches down the bore prior to the next shooting session and have never had a either corrosion problem or a fouling problem.  I use spit patches on the range and, even though I do not clean between shots, fouling is so minimal that it is a non-issue.  I can't say I buy the admonishment to not mix BP and petroleum products.
Another vote for RIG 

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2022, 02:31:31 AM »
Are there any first hand experience cases where petroleum caused tar buildup in a ML?

I have never seen it.  Has anyone seen it with their own eyes?  I'd like to know the exact circumstance.

It is put out there constantly that petroleum and BP do not mix.  There myth and superstition associated with BP.  Is petroleum tar a real thing?

I've got a cheap flint pistol I could test it out on... Easy enough to yank the barrel and scrub it out if the myth holds up.

Not going to try it with one of my long guns.

Mike

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2022, 03:49:51 AM »
The taboo on mixing petroleum with black powder, may have to do with cleaning, but mainly is a no-no as a patch lube.
Petroleum produces, oils, etc, do not mix, soften with nor emulsify black powder fouling. That is where animal fats and water
based "lubes" shine.
Daryl

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2022, 04:12:33 PM »
I do agree with Daryl with regard to patch lubes and avoid petroleum-based lubes when situations such as hunting dictate the use of a lube.  In my experience, Bee's wax/bear grease and bee's wax/lard both perform well.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 04:16:28 PM by bluenoser »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2022, 07:29:56 AM »
In colder climates, the use of beeswax is not necessary or advised. Track's Mink oil or 100% Neetsfoot Oil work just fine, by themselves.
Daryl

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2022, 07:52:48 PM »
In colder climates, the use of beeswax is not necessary or advised. Track's Mink oil or 100% Neetsfoot Oil work just fine, by themselves.
there is a chunk of beeswax in my shop that has turned to stone in the cold weather.Not much difference in the hot weather either.
Also a pint of sperm oil in a can that dates back to Moby Dick and Captain Whatshisface I have had for 60 years.Used the first can in
home made bullet lubes for my Whitworth.Also used it on the final patch after a cleaning .
I have heard sperm oil can't be sold or sent now so I will keep it.
Bob Roller

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2022, 09:33:13 PM »
Good afternoon y'all & ladies. I'm a dime short and a day late. Put me in the rig column. AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2022, 06:29:34 AM »
Mix petroleum with BP fouling, add heat and pressure. If this is not take removed and more oil is mixed with more fouling you end up with something akin to asphaltic concrete. Make sure all the oil is out of the bore before shooting. Make sure all fouling is removed before oiling the bore.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2022, 06:35:53 AM »
I have note used rig since I got the letter from the draft board to be at the bus station in 1970. Its too hard to remove. I might use it if I were leaving again for a year or two.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Daryl

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2022, 08:50:22 AM »
I still have the tube of RIG I bought about 30 years ago. It's still vital and I've used it rarely. It's dry enough here and I am sure in Livingston Montana as well, that it isn't necessary.
If I still lived at the coast I would use it more, as I did when down there. I don't, so I don't need it, but it is indeed SUPER at preventing rust in higher humidity conditions.
Daryl