Author Topic: .54 Caliber David Dodds Rifle.  (Read 6971 times)

Offline Daniel Coats

.54 Caliber David Dodds Rifle.
« on: March 06, 2022, 01:24:38 AM »
I just bought this rifle today and will post more pictures after it arrives. I'm starting a topic here so we don't break the ALR rules in the Items for Sale/Wanted section. I would love to hear anything that anyone has to say or comment on.

Here's the original listing from my friend Curt with the pictures that were posted.

54 caliber David Dodds. It has a 44-in gets 54 caliber barrel swamped, chambers early Ketland lock that has been modified a little premium curly maple wood .brass hardware 13 and 1/2-in l o p . 8 and 3/4 lb and super accurate.

Photos courtesy Curt Lyles

Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline B.Barker

Re: .54 Caliber David Dodds Rifle.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 02:06:53 AM »
Dave made some nice Berks county rifles. I really like the early ones from that area. Nice rifle you have there.

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 03:00:44 AM »
RCA 21 & 22 comes to mind.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 11:39:04 AM by Daniel Coats »
Dan

Online Daryl

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 05:57:23 AM »
I really like the "almost" simple carving behind the cheek piece.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 06:01:44 AM »
I think I saw this gun on his table once. His work is among my favorites. He got it right and didn’t mess around “improving” on originals.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2022, 06:09:56 AM »
I like the simple yet elegance of it too. Can't wait to see it in person. I've found out today that this was his personal rifle and he hunted deer with it many times. Also learned, new for me, it's a Reading style gun from Berks County. All Reading rifles are also Berks county but not all Berks County guns are Reading guns. Berks county had regional styles that varied. That being said this rifle has the look of an original with honest patina from use. In a word "WOW"
Dan

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2022, 08:32:26 PM »
More information learned today. Side plate, muzzle cap, ramrod pipes, patch box, and tapered ramrod are all hand made.  Relief carved in the Reading style with the overall appearance of an original rifle of the period. Pictures of the trigger looks handmade to me also. David was an avid hunter and killed many deer with this rifle.
Dan

Offline acorn20

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2022, 09:48:13 PM »
I looked forward to talking to David and his wife at the Lewisburg Artisan's Show each year.  He was easy to talk to and quite knowledgeable.  The product of his hands were beautiful and I always thought his rifles reflected his personality.  That of being a refined, modest gentleman.   
Dan Akers

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2022, 10:26:40 PM »
I’m proud to have a Dodds gun in the collection. It’s very similar to the rifle pictured on this thread. It’s one of my favorite guns.  Dodds really understood stock architecture. Every line on the gun has an attractive purpose.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2022, 11:17:24 PM »
Any idea how many guns were made by David Dodds?
Dan

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2022, 11:46:41 PM »
Any idea how many guns were made by David Dodds?

Not here. What I can say is that everything he made is a prized possession for its owner.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2022, 11:56:02 PM »
Thank you Wayne and I agree!

I'm searching the forum now and finding lots of earlier threads on his work. I've pretty much always had him in mind but never expected to actually find one of his guns at the right time.
Dan

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2022, 12:15:20 AM »
I believe that you got that gun (maybe not cheap) at a very good value. The market on his stuff should be around $1000.00 more than what you paid. I put David’s work in the top 30% of collectible contemporary Longrifles right now if not only for the quality of the work but the limited number of pieces available.
 There are other makers out there who have the same scenario; Monte Mandarino, Mark Silver, Mike Cox to name a few.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 12:18:26 AM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2022, 12:37:11 AM »
I always enjoyed talking with David and his good friend Rich Pouncey when I attended the CLA. Sadly both of them have passed on, great guys each.

Rich owned a square barreled rifle which was a copy of an original that is in the Valley Forge Museum. David made that rifle as well as several more that Rich owned. I wonder whatever happened to that rifle? It was on display at the CLA the year they did a tribute to David Dodds. Really neat gun. I have a photo of both the original and the copy David made around here somewhere.

Dennis

I looked forward to talking to David and his wife at the Lewisburg Artisan's Show each year.  He was easy to talk to and quite knowledgeable.  The product of his hands were beautiful and I always thought his rifles reflected his personality.  That of being a refined, modest gentleman.   
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Joey R

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2022, 01:55:46 AM »
I may be mistaken but I think David built the original Lil Feller rifle for Jim Chambers.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2022, 01:58:58 AM »
I may be mistaken but I think David built the original Lil Feller rifle for Jim Chambers.
He did indeed. I got to handle the original Little Feller gun back in January.
Stop Marxism in America

Online AMartin

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2022, 02:52:51 AM »
Correction ..
Tweed built the lil feller for his late brother in law .. Karl Klose ..
Karl called this rifle the (BoyScout Rifle) as it had a variation of the  fleur-de-lis carving behind the tang ... that looked a lot like the BoyScout logo or emblem ..

Jim Chambers bought this rifle from (I'm not completely sure ) and used it as prototype for the the new Lil Feller rifle ..
Perhaps Jim can chime in here and correct me or set us all straight !!

Great rifle by the way Daniel .. it really should come back home to PA and kill a whitetail in the late flinter season !!

Allen
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 03:28:48 AM by AMartin »

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2022, 03:00:21 AM »
 My recollection was that Dodds built the gun for a man of “small stature”. When he finished the gun the customer backed out of the deal. Chime in Jim!!!
Stop Marxism in America

Online AMartin

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2022, 03:26:11 AM »
Whoopie pies ... get it right Dan ...

Yes.... Karl wasn't a big guy but also liked short trigger length pull ... light weight guns , he drove a new beetle bug , fished with 7ft fly rods ...etc ... He liked things on a the small side ... 

I built Karl at least 2 maybe 3 guns .. short barrels , 13-1/4" LOP .. itty bitty ..

I would like to find out what has happened to his stuff ... Gus , if you know . please feel free to help me out ..
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 03:31:02 AM by AMartin »

Offline Levy

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2022, 10:13:13 PM »
Dennis, The Square Breech Rifle is still in the possession of Rich Pouncey's family along with 3 other pieces made by David Dodds.  They are hanging on to them.  James Levy
James Levy

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2022, 04:37:03 PM »
Dennis, The Square Breech Rifle is still in the possession of Rich Pouncey's family along with 3 other pieces made by David Dodds.  They are hanging on to them.  James Levy

Good to hear James, I had a chance to buy it from Rich but passed. I think he scarred me away telling me how hard the gun kicked😊

Found the photos Rich sent me but have not found the photo I have of the original Valley Forge rifle.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2022, 07:22:41 PM »
Finally found the square breech rifle that the Valley Forge museum has. Several years ago when I contacted them about it they sent this photo to me:

I had visited the museum a few weeks before and never saw the rifle on display. They told me they rotated items in and out of storage and if I came back to give them a heads up and they would see that I could view the rifle. I have not been back.

I believe that it was made using donor parts, maybe a Dutch barrel, can't remember for sure. It was supposedly used during the Rev War.

Here are photos of the copy David Dodds made of that rifle:

Dennis

Offline Levy

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2022, 03:42:17 AM »
Dennis, I've hefted the rifle, but never fired it.  It is very light in weight and I'd expect it to recoil some.  I believe that David's copy is .60 and has straight rifling.  David made the barrel at Getz.  James Levy
James Levy

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2022, 03:29:10 PM »
Dennis, I've hefted the rifle, but never fired it.  It is very light in weight and I'd expect it to recoil some.  I believe that David's copy is .60 and has straight rifling.  David made the barrel at Getz.  James Levy

I had forgotten the barrel had straight rifling also that David made the barrel.
Dennis

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2022, 04:29:08 PM »
No surprise it recoils with that much drop. I was at f-ship when Dave brought that  gun to show  it  off. Created quite a stir
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?