Author Topic: Another 'Collectible' powder horn on Ebay  (Read 5049 times)

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Another 'Collectible' powder horn on Ebay
« on: October 12, 2009, 04:28:34 PM »
Hmmm, get a good price and the place will be crawling with them!  Another one for our discussion and education.  
http://cgi.ebay.com/1758-BRITISH-ENGRAVED-POWDER-HORN-NEW-YORK-MAP_W0QQitemZ170393370272QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27ac3c7ea0

I've since sent the seller a couple of questions and will be interesting to hear from them.

Gary

P.s,  John, have you got those appliances yet?  :D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 04:30:14 PM by G. Elsenbeck »
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline art riser

Re: Another 'Collectible' powder horn on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 06:06:18 PM »
something is amiss...

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 06:17:05 PM »
Couple of unusual features:
1) The plug is a tree branch with the growth rings showing.  This is usually associated with a home-made horn.
2) The wear at the plug and colors there don't seem to match the wear and colors on the rest of the horn
3) The engraving of the towns and map features looks different from the signature part
Andover, Vermont

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 06:19:16 PM »
Oh, my.  Buyer beware. 
Wayne Elliott

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 07:12:32 PM »
Looks way to reproduction to me, along with no wear on the inside of the horn body, will be interesting to read the answers to the questions Gary sent him or her!

keweenaw

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 08:47:01 PM »
All I can say is phony as a $3 bill. The stain on the plug looks like it was put on yesterday and no one who would have done that engraving in 1758 would have left a butt end that rough - although it's intentionally made to look rough!

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »

:o
TCA
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 09:13:46 PM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 09:42:54 PM »
I think it is a real old horn, maybe a blowing horn originally.  It's hard to achieve the patina present on the spout end, etc.  Sometimes these things evolve, I guess.  Generally most old things just get worse and don't improve over time like this one may have done.
Andover, Vermont

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 10:31:14 PM »
I managed to get a quick response from the seller and rather than paste her response I'll have to paraphrase.  First to paint the setting some, the individual and her fiancee have been collecting powder horns for a number of years (maybe 10-15?, my guess) and decided to sell off their 'collection'. 
To my question as to 'who authenicated' she responded ' this piece did come from a well known auction house, so that might be authentication in itself.'  Hmmmm.  She also added 'our pieces have come from auctions all over new england spanning the past few years.'    In her closing remarks she add,  'I know this type of item is subject to a lot of speculation and i understand your concern. I hope you are still inclined to offer.'
Yeeaaahhhh,,,,,,,,,, right.
I get the feeling that this couple have been 'collecting' a few pieces of Americana powder horns as investments and maybe along the way they figured that some of these haven't been the wisest decisions.  Just to illustrate this is a horn listed by her fiancee. 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270468357592&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

At least this horn acutally looks like a powder horn.  Still a lot of money, but you get free horn damage with this one.  This makes the provenance true,,,,,doesn't it?
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 01:42:09 AM »
That one looks even fresher.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 11:28:30 PM »
It is an interesting piece.  As folks have pointed out some elements just do not match.  But I wonder if it could still be old.  For example someone engraved the map, and another person did the cartouche and name at a different time.  Also, the plug could have been a more recent botched restoration job. 

Coryjoe

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 01:02:33 AM »
On the first horn, if it's an old one, I'd bet the original butt end was broken off, and the new plug just that,,, something to close the end.
One thing that I am sure of, is that it won't be coming to my house anytime soon!
John
John Robbins

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 03:05:16 PM »
 If you have Dresslar's book, The Engraved Powder Horn look at the horn on page 70. Is it just me or is that engraving of New York almost the same as the one on EBay? The bird weather vanes are missing (They do show up on pages 58 and 85) but a couple of the spires are almost identical. There are other  horns with the same number of spires and similar views with wind mill but this one is close.
  This does not prove or disprove anything, it is just an observation.

Tim C.

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 04:19:36 PM »
Rich, kinda doubt that it could have been a blowing horn for calling in the dogs. These were shaved thin because sound, somehow, was amphlified and carried much further with a thin horn as opposed to one of about regular thickness. I've still got my Grandad's old horn and it's shaved pretty thin. Blow that thing up on top of a mountain on a cold frosty morning at daylight, and you could call dogs in three states and two time zones  ;D. Also have one from Ron Ehlert's collection, and it, also, is shaved pretty thin.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 08:48:13 PM »
If you have Dresslar's book, The Engraved Powder Horn look at the horn on page 70. Is it just me or is that engraving of New York almost the same as the one on EBay? The bird weather vanes are missing (They do show up on pages 58 and 85) but a couple of the spires are almost identical. There are other  horns with the same number of spires and similar views with wind mill but this one is close.
  This does not prove or disprove anything, it is just an observation.

Tim C.

Tim,

I noticed that to.  In fact the one you mentioned is the same one that I usually go by when I am engraving a New York Map horn.  The horse in coat of arms is what I reconized.  Original or not it is an interesting piece. 

Coryjoe